'Nico Icon' Explores Velvet Underground

"Nico Icon," a documentary about the life of Velvet Underground vocalist Nico, shows tonight in Spaulding Auditorium as part of the Film Society's Cinema Cool series.

The 72 minute film, with subtitles, is written and directed by Susan Ofteringer.

The film hopes to unravel some of the mystery surrounding the German beauty who began her career as a super model and went on to become a central part of Andy Warhol's clan as well as the lead singer in his band, the Velvet Underground.

Using archival footage of Velvet Underground performances, home movies, and interviews with friends and family members, filmmaker Susanne Ofteringer shows the complete transition Nico made from a beautiful, blond goddess to a cigarette-smoking wash-out, addicted to heroine and obsessed with death.

Ofteringer became interested in Nico after learning that both women grew up in Cologne.

She made the film in hopes of portraying Nico as an independent woman who liked to reinvent herself instead of as a blank beauty who earned her fame because of her affairs with famous men.

Ofteringer interviews many of the people closest to Nico including Nico's aunt Helma Wolff , Velvet Underground members Sterling Morrison and John Cale, and her son Ari, who she helped to get addicted to heroine.

The interviews offer the most compelling scenes in the documentary.

Juxtaposed with shots of Nico from the beginning of her career with shots of her after her period of self-destruction, the interviews help to reveal the shocking transformation the superstar went through.

Although much about Nico remains an enigma, "Nico Icon" presents an interesting and visually stunning look at the life of a woman who has always been fascinating because of her constantly changing image and striking beauty.