Ledyard offers world of water

If you are wondering what all the active Dartmouth students are doing this summer, you won't find them among the slugs in Baker Library, but you may find many of them taking to the water at the Ledyard Canoe Club.

Ledyard is struck by a whirlwind of activities in the spring and summer, and there are many opportunities at Ledyard for first time and experienced canoers and kayakers alike.

can go," Fowb This summer there are three white water kayaking classes and a marathon canoeing class as well as various private clinics, according to Brett Golden '99, Ledyard's Junior Summer Director.

Last week, the club hosted a flatwater canoeing race called the Ledyard Classic, a marathon flatwater race in which participants used special lightweight fiberglass racing canoes.

"The Ledyard Classic is... nationally recognized by the American Canoe Association. Professional canoers come from all over the country to race," said Chris Fowler '97, President of Ledyard Canoe Club. "The race is also open to amateurs and hack racers as well."

About sixty racers participated in the race, including some of the top competitors in New England, Ledyard's summer president Jamie Shandro '98 said.

Besides racing, Ledyard offers numerous weekend trips on kayaks and canoes with destinations all over New England, and as far as Canada, according to Golden.

Those interested in kayaking or canoeing can monitor the Ledyard Canoe Club bulletin to find out about events, which range in difficulty from the paddling neophyte to much more experienced thrill-seekers.

One popular trip in the summer time is Sophomores from the Source, an annual flatwater trip held at the beginning of each summer term. The four day long voyage begins in Lancaster, NH, where canoers paddle through 100 to 150 miles of the meandering Connecticut River until they reach the canoe club.

"The trip is for beginners, but usually half the people are somewhat experienced and the other half have never been on a canoe before. Twenty eight people can go," Fowler said.

"An extended beginner trip of five days is being planned for the beginning of fall term," Fowler said. "This is for people who are interested in getting into the sport and [it] requires no prior experience."

Also in the works for late July, according to Fowler, is a expert whitewater excursion to Canada. "This is an advanced trip and only about ten very experienced people here at Ledyard are capable of participating," he said.

"We're planning a trip to West Virginia this summer. In the past we have paddled down south to the Carolinas and Tennessee," said Mary Hollendonner '98, Ledyard's Senior Summer Director.

But for those not interested in swaying too far from the Hanover plain, another popular option is renting out Titticomb Cabin for a night's stay. Titticomb is a one room cabin nestled on a tiny island just south of the Ledyard club docks.

Ledyard is more than an avenue of entertainment and exercise for the average Dartmouth student, "it is a way of life", said Hollendonner.

According to Golden, the atmosphere at the club is "great because the people that come here are friendly, it's sunny. People just come down here and hang out or bring their lunch and eat at the picnic tables."

"People are always here," Hollendonner said. "There is a crowd of hard-core ledyardites who come everyday and hang out."

But members of the club also takes their fun very seriously. A number of former Ledyard faithful have taken their expertise on the water to higher levels, such as last year's president of Ledyard, Ian Stuart '96.

Stuart, a kayak racer, has competed in the US Olympic Wild Water team and the Wild Water Worlds Championship in Austria, according to Golden.