Drunken Lack of Respect Must End

As sisters of Sigma Delta, wesupport our sisters' editorial printed on July 9th. Our own opinions about the break in and related events differ only in the approach and understanding of the inherent problem on this campus. This incident is being presented as the culmination in a series of attacks against our house, and other sororities on campus; a manifestation of the gender relations problems so prevalent at Dartmouth. However, we feel that the break-in was representational of an even more ubiquitous problem at Dartmouth: that of a lack of respect for oneself, others and other people's property while under the influence of alcohol.

The two men involved in the incident were both intoxicated, a fact which in no way excuses their behavior. As most students would agree, there is an unhealthy attitude toward drinking at Dartmouth. There are no moral, social, or frequently legal, consequences for acts of violence and disrespect when the perpetrators are intoxicated. It is this lack which lead to the break-in at Sigma Delta.

We, as women at Dartmouth, understand what it is like to be scared. Many women on this campus have been sexually abused and we have all had bad experiences with drunk men who do not respect us. The thought of an intoxicated stranger breaking into our house while we are sleeping is terrifying. We think the break in at Sigma Delta is totally unacceptable for this reason alone, but that does not address the main problem with this incident.

We believe that the men who broke into our house had no intent of hurting any sisters and did not set out to vandalize our house or scare us. They were drunk and irresponsible and, in our opinion, would have done the same thing had they been at a fraternity. But Dartmouth students need to take responsibility for themselves and their friends when they are drinking. Drunkenness can never be an excuse for disrespect.

Any destruction of property by men, or women, is unacceptable under any circumstances. The problem is a problem with drinking, not a general misogyny which grew violent.This is not a Sigma Delta issue or even a women's issue. It is a campus problem and must be addressed as such.

The Dartmouth campus as a whole needs to come together and decide that this kind of behavior is no longer acceptable for anyone, male or female, and then we must begin to treat each other, and each other's possessions with the respect they deserve, regardless of our level of sobriety.