Dodecs succumb to 'Dodecadence'

The release of the Dodecaphonics' new CD "Dodecadence" was heralded by their wonderfully over-the-top publicity at Friday night's Spring Sing, an a cappella concert. "Dodecadence, Dodecadence, Dodecadence!" the group chanted to the tune of Beethoven.

As hordes of zealous fans poured out of Spaulding Auditorium, many members of the audience clamored for a copy of their CD.

The notes inside the album read, "The group's fourth album, 'Dodecadence,' is a collaboration of some 21 Dodecs. It is intended to represent the full range of the group's repertoire and musical ability."

Certainly, the Dodecs display their full range on "Dodecadence." They strike the heart of tradition with songs like the "Alma Mater" and "Dartmouth Undying."

The Dodecs also lampoon the modern ailments of couch potato-ness and eating disorders with the tongue-in-cheek "La-Z-Boy" and "Fatso."

"Fatso" features a bouncy calypso rhythm which clashes with the relatively serious subject matter.

Nina Fallon '96 and Lesle Ann Jennings '96 sing, "I get so dizzy when I stand up fast," as the melody changes to a faint, high-pitched duet.

In "La-Z-Boy", Jorge Motoshige '96 sings, "Here in a world of turmoil/ I have my comfort under control/ and the answer's reclining." Truly, he sings as a content, slothful suburbanite, happy to take solace in his good 'ol armchair.

Not limited to choir-like, angelic refinement, the Dodecs never hesitate to cut it up with some raw rock 'n roll. On "Basketcase," Pachelbel's classic "Canon in D" leads into Green Day's punk-rock tale of slacker neurosis.

In "Leather," Katherine Hu '96 delivers an impeccable Tori Amos imitation as she recounts a mysterious, chilling sexual story.

And the traditionals are delivered just as convincingly as these modern tunes, such as the luscious, healing "Water is Wide," sung by Simon Tang '97.

The Dodecs are at their mirthful best on They Might Be Giants' folk-sounding "Women and Men." As the Dodecs sing, "Wherever they go, love will grow."

This song celebrates the Dodecs' unique tradition of being Dartmouth's only coed a cappella group.

The Dodecs, who are now in their 12th year, wrote in the notes to their album that the CD "also helps us in celebrating a milestone. Dodecaphonics, in Greek, means '12 sounds.'"

And a fine, Dodecadent album it is.