June 3, 2024 | Latest Issue

Students robbed during break

Two burglars, who took advantage of unlocked windows in students' rooms in the Lodge residence hall, stole several pieces of electronic equipment over spring break.

The intruders burglarized two rooms and attempted to enter a third, but were thwarted when the occupant frightened them away, according to the Valley News.

College Proctor Bob McEwen said the Hanover Police Department is conducting an extensive investigation and Safety and Security is assisting the police with the investigation.

Michael Yoo '98, who lives on the first floor of the Lodge, said he returned to his room on March 19 to find about $7,000 worth of his and his roommate's electronic equipment missing. Yoo said he lost stereo equipment and his laptop computer.

"We're not going to see this stuff again," Yoo said.

Yoo said he thought the thieves intended to return to the room. He said the door was left unlocked and there was still more valuable equipment, like his roommate's keyboard and a compact disc changer, left in the room.

"I just smiled and laughed when I walked in and saw the stuff missing," he said. "So many things have been happening to me that it's just becoming comical at this point."

Yoo was one of the students who had racial slurs written on his door last term.

Yoo said the College was going to fine him for living in a residence hall during the interim without applying for interim housing. But he said the charges were dropped.

In addition to the burglaries, potential thieves attempted to break into a first-floor room in the Lodge at around 5 a.m. on March 18, but ran away after the occupant, Meylysa Tseng '98, woke up and screamed.

Sarah Boynton '98, Tseng's roommate last term, said Tseng wrote to her about the incident over the break. Tseng wrote that she was asleep and was awakened by two people -- a female and a male -- who were opening her window.

Tseng told Boynton that the two intruders realized someone was in the room. Tseng screamed and the potential thieves ran away, Boynton said.

Tseng then locked her window and called Safety and Security, Boynton said.

Police investigated the incidents and also asked Safety and Security to check other rooms in the Lodge to see if items had been missing. In one of the rooms, in which the window was unlocked, the occupant confirmed that a computer was missing, according to the Valley News.

Detective Sergeant Frank Moran, who is conducting the investigation, told the Valley News that he believes these three incidents "are definitely connected."

To prevent future break-ins, McEwen said Safety and Security is working with the Office of Residential Life to ensure that, in the future, students living in residence halls over the break do not leave their doors or windows unlocked.

A BlitzMail bulletin posted by Safety and Security urged students on campus to lock their windows and doors, "especially when you are away from your room, and during nighttime hours."

McEwen said Safety and Security has also posted alert signs around campus to make students aware of the incidents and the need for students to lock windows and doors.

Over winter break, students reported eight burglaries -- three in off-campus apartments, one in Chi Heorot fraternity, one in Maxwell residence hall, two in Andres residence hall, and one in the Rockefeller Center.

The equipment stolen during winter break included computers, a television set, a printer and two chairs.

Moran was not available for comment yesterday.