R and B group delivers 'Total' experience

After several weeks of delayed releases and waiting in nail-biting anticipation, Total, the trio of female voices behind this summer's breakthrough smash, "Can't You See," has hit the hip-hop charts yet again with another soul-stirring single and a much-awaited debut album.

The brainchild of Bad Boy Entertainment executive producer Sean "Puffy" Combs, this self-titled album marks Total's first foray into the rhythm and blues album market.

"No One Else," their latest release, has been very successful on the Billboard Charts and with R and B fans.

Total, the moniker attached to the latest, greatest power hip-hop trio to emerge from the Bad Boy camp, is looking to topple the R and B balladfest cooked up by Whitney Houston and her powerful retinue of divas on the "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack.

Now the market can finally "wait to exhale" as Total will surely make a bid for the top spot with this album release.

The women of Total -- Jakima, Keisha Spivey and Pam Long -- vixens with voices, whisk listeners away with their blustery voices.

Their harmonious voices are the basis for the album. Samples, overdubs and driving beats only add icing to the proverbial cake.

Paired in the soundtrack to last year's movie "New Jersey Drive" with rapmeister The Notorious B.I.G., Total has managed to step out on their own in order to form their own identity. The group's vocal maturity can be readily heard on any track.

"No One Else" combines electronic wizardry via samples and overdubs with the melodious voices of the trio. The single, an ode to unrequited love, features Da Brat and snippets from rapper KRS-1's "South Bronx."

The lyrics state: "I don't need no one else but you/ Tell me what you want me what you want me to do ... you better believe me/ because what I say is true."

Total's CD comes during a period of dearth for the R and B industry. While there have been several soundtrack compilations, there has been a lack of releases from top artists.

The album's star wattage is absolutely blinding, with contributions by Da Brat, the Notorious B.I.G. and Raphael Saadiq of Tony! Tone! Toni! fame.

Total leaves no musical style unturned. The album spotlights a wide variety of styles, from glucose-coated ballads to straight hip-hop, and also features between-song sequences.

A must-hear selection is the track "Don't Ever Change."

The women exude a soul-torn grief evident in the lyrics "Don't ever change the way/ the way you feel today/ don't ever take your love away/ if you love me."

As a whole, the album has such vivid hills and valleys that one never knows where it is going next, but that is part of the fun of absorbing the CD's melodies.

The lilting-vibrato filled selections, comedic interludes and driving G-funk beats only add to the uniqueness of the album.

A sprawling sonic carpet that never stops unfurling, its 13 songs careen from just plain good to exciting.

In a market known for one-hit wonders and "whoop, there's it is" mantras, Total distinguish themselves as a veritable force in the R and B market with this most stunning debut work.