Fencing starts winter competition

Although perhaps an overlooked part of Dartmouth athletics, the Dartmouth fencing club is determined to make a name for itself. The team is already well on its way, as the Big Green began winter competition last weekend with four wins.

For the Big Green, the New England league composed of 10 schools is the major source of fencing competition. The majority of schools in this league are, like Dartmouth, at club status.

The climax for all 10 teams in this league is in late February in the New England Championships, when they all compete against each other to determine the league champion.

Last year, the Dartmouth men placed third in the championships and the team is hoping to do even better this year. But the Big Green must overcome a major obstacle -- not having a coach.

Dartmouth's previous coach left the New England area last spring, and the Big Green have been unable to find a replacement for the unpaid position.

Currently, Dartmouth graduate Samantha Stoddard '94 is acting as a contact person for the team by arranging meets and talking with other coaches, while co-Captains Matt Richardson '97 and Pat Craven '97 are responsible for arranging practices.

"I think the team would be better if they had a coach because he would have demanded a higher attendance rate and level of intensity," Stoddard said. "But the team is still doing very well. It's more of a peer pressure than a top down pressure."

Without a coach, Stoddard said it is sometimes difficult to adjust practices to the varying levels of ability. For the women's team, which is young and inexperienced, more attention to drills is needed, while for the men's team, actual competition is needed to prepare them for the other top New England schools.

The Big Green have adapted to the difficulties, however.

"I'm fortunate this year to have a good group of men that can teach the women and learn by just fencing with each other," Stoddard said. "There is some outstanding talent on the team."

That talent is led by Zach Stein '96, who last weekend in competition against Boston College, Brown, University of New Hampshire and Boston University, went 12-0. Stein's 20-4 overall record puts him near the top of standings in the league.

James Chalfant '99 also has proven to be a top epee censor, as he claimed an individual title last fall in the New England Collegiate Open. In the same event, Richardson followed with a close third.

For the women, Beth Marston '97 was the only member who had fenced competitively before coming to Dartmouth. But the Big Green are hoping upcoming underclassmen will improve.

"We have some impressive beginners," Stoddard said. "Hopefully they will continue to improve, and if they stick with it we can move up in the standings."

Both teams are now gearing up for the New England Championships on Feb. 17 at UNH. For the men, the possibility of a title has kept them focused.

"We have some seniors who have put a lot of time and effort into this team and are looking to do well," Stoddard said. "I think we would like to show everyone that at Dartmouth, even though we don't have a coach, we take fencing seriously."