Buchanan pulls ahead of Dole to win N.H. primary

MANCHESTER -- Conservative rebel Pat Buchanan won a crucial victory Tuesday in New Hampshire's leadoff presidential primary, nudging Sen. Bob Dole from his perch as Republican front-runner and throwing the GOP race into three-way turmoil.

Late-charging Lamar Alexander, the former Tennessee governor, ran a solid third and suggested that proved him a stronger mainstream alternative to Buchanan than ''a weakened Senator Dole.''

There was no rest after an exhausting New Hampshire campaign: The candidates were launching immediately into a five-week, 30-state burst of primary contests.

Dole was headed Wednesday to the Dakotas; Alexander looked South, to Georgia and South Carolina, hoping his Tennessee roots would translate into regional strength. Buchanan head to New York, then to the prairie.

For Buchanan, the commentator-turned-candidate, it was another dramatic New Hampshire night. Four years ago, he scored 37 percent against an incumbent GOP president here, asserting himself -- and his often unorthodox views -- in national Republican politics.

With 98 percent of precincts counted, Buchanan had 55,997 votes, or 27 percent, to 53,623 or 26 percent for Dole. Alexander had 46,616, 23 percent, publishing heir Steve Forbes was at 12 percent, and said by associates to be reassessing his campaign but certain to press on for another week because of his efforts in Arizona and Delaware.

In exit polls, voters cited pocketbook issues -- jobs, taxes and budget deficits -- as they judged the eight-man Republican field.

Asked which issue mattered most in deciding how they voted, one in four cited the economy and jobs and one in five cited taxes. Roughly 15 percent said the federal budget deficit. In clear reflection of the race's volatility, 60 percent said they settled on their choice in the final week.

President Clinton swept to overwhelming victory in the Democratic primary, logging more than 90 percent of the vote against token opposition. The fractures in the Republican field gave Clinton and his party even more to celebrate. ''The answer is not to divide the American people,'' Clinton said in a victory statement that offered his view of the Republican race.

New Hampshire's results were likely to winnow the GOP field, though none of the struggling candidates would immediately admit as much. Forbes, particularly, had to be disappointed. He had been tied for the New Hampshire lead a month ago but his effort to promote a flat income tax wilted as moderate voters chose between Dole and Alexander.

Indiana Sen. Dick Lugar was fifth at 5 percent, Alan Keyes had 3 percent. Illinois businessmen Morry Taylor and California Rep. Robert Dornan had even less to show for their New Hampshire efforts.

''We have made history again tonight,'' Buchanan said in celebration. He delivered a scathing populist critique of the GOP establishment and big corporations and cast his showing as ''a victory for the good men and women of Middle America.''

Perhaps the biggest difference between Buchanan and his two rivals is trade policy. They supported the NAFTA and GATT free-trade agreements as critical to boosting American exports in a global economy; Buchanan blames the deals for sending American manufacturing jobs overseas, and stagnating wages at home. Buchanan is also far more outspoken than either Dole or Alexander on social issues. He pledges to be the ''most pro-life president in history'' and vows there will be no jobs for avowed homosexuals in a Buchanan administration.

Clinging to hopes for a late-night comeback, Dole did not concede. But he was resigned to placing second in New Hampshire, again. ''Now I know why they call this the Granite State,'' said Dole. ''Because it's so hard to crack.''

This time, Dole vowed a disappointing New Hampshire night would not derail his candidacy, as was the case in 1988. Ignoring Alexander's showing, Dole said it was time for mainstream Republicans to rally to his side in the dizzying rush of contests beginning Saturday in Delaware.

''Right now it is a two-man race. It is going to be a one-man race before long,'' Dole said. ''Over the next month we will decide if we are the party of fear or hope.'' That was a thinly veiled poke at Buchanan's protectionist trade views.

Alexander congratuled Buchanan but criticized his ideas, especially on trade. Taking direct aim at Dole, Alexander said the 72-year-old senator had proven himself a weak candidate for Republicans to send into battle against President Clinton. ''He does not have enough ideas,'' Alexander said of Dole.

Still, Alexander conceded third-place would soon not be good enough: ''I have to start winning.''

In the days ahead, it will be critical that he convince GOP contributors that he can beat Buchanan. In bidding for the mainstream spot in a race to stop Buchanan, Alexander is way behind Dole in terms of financial resources and organization in the states soon up on the primary calendar.