June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Zelikow speaks on career as policy shaper, writer

Philip Zelikow, an associate professor of public policy at Harvard University, began his government career as a member of the National Security Council during the Bush administration.

During his time at the White House, Zelikow said he advised the President and other state department representatives on developing policies and methods so the government could carry out the goals it sets for itself.

Under the Clinton administration, Zelikow became a consultant to the Pentagon, specifically concerned with issues of nuclear proliferation in Eastern Europe.

He is an expert in the study of Eastern Europe, specifically Germany.

Right now "Germany is struggling with what it should be doing," Zelikow said.

Zelikow's most recent book, written and researched over the past four years, addresses German reunification.

This book is unique because Zelikow was able to access documents from the United States, the former Soviet Union and the German archives.

Zelikow said there were "ideas that floated in the working level but never saw the light of day."

Zelikow said he facilitated the largest freedom of information request in history of the National Security Archives.

His sources also include interviews with various leaders and participants in the German reunification process, as well as transcripts of several of their conversations.

The research, documents and interviews provided a new perspective on many issues. Zelikow still found it, "fascinating to peek behind the scenes of the other side."

"Reasoning from history is the most prevalent form of reasoning encountered in the formation of international policies. No other form comes even close," he said.

His next book, he said, is a 150-page monograph describing American economic systems and policies. Zelikow said the book is planned to be released in 1996.

Zelikow is currently working on a book with Graham Allison, titled 'The Essence of Decision,' using the Cuban Missile Crisis as a primary example of foreign policy decision making.

This was Zelikow's first visit to Dartmouth. He spoke to a group of professors Tuesday night and to Government 40 yesterday morning, followed by lunch with the staff of the student magazine, "World Outlook" before giving a public lecture yesterday afternoon.