Swimming prepares for UMass

The women's swimming team struggled slightly over break falling to both the University of New Hampshire and Harvard, but after a winter trip to California, the Big Green women will look to earn their first win early this year.

Against UNH, the Big Green struggled with depth as the 122-121 loss was not a matter of the number of victories, but instead the matter of the number of UNH seconds, thirds and fourths that made the difference.

Dartmouth will look to overcome the depth problem as the Big Green turn to senior leadership from captains Karyn Bysshe, Kathy Luz and Deb Whitney.

Against UNH Whitney, Catherine Sterling '98 and Karen Anderson '99 all performed particularly well against UNH and will to improve even more.

So far this season, the Big Green have been led by strong diving performances. Juniors Ann Craig and Sarah Hobson placed at UNH, while newcomer Courtney DuBois '99 also performed well. Following their winter trip to Florida, the Big Green divers are optimistic.

"This is going to be a great year in Dartmouth diving," Craig said. "We are really starting to come together as a team, and it shows in everyone's diving. Expect great things."

Coming into this weekends meet against UMass, the Big Green look to avenge their last loss early in December to Harvard. Against the Crimson, Dartmouth was disappointed with the 178-108 loss.

"We've put the fall meets behind us," Bysshe said. "We're looking forward to swimming UMass. They're a really strong team and we'll need to rise up to beat them."

The women will battle UMass next weekend at home Jan. 10.