Kirch named to first NCAA crew committee

For the first time ever in the history of women's collegiate crew, a national championship organized by the NCAA will be held.

On Wednesday, the NCAA announced the creation of a board to oversee the creation of a national rowing championship for women. The committee, compiled of women's crew coaches from across the United States, will also have jurisdiction over policies and rules regarding the sport.

Dartmouth women's crew Coach Barbara Kirch was chosen by the nationally recognized college sports governing body to be one of the seven members of the first ever committee.

Kirch, who was selected through a nominating process held by the NCAA, expects the formation of this committee will help boost the popularity of the sport in colleges nationwide.

"For us, I would say [it will be] business as usual," Kirch said. "For other scholastic programs you are probably going to see a lot of growth."

Kirch expects the elevation of NCAA women's crew status will open the doors for greater participation and possibly a larger number of athletic scholarships available to women rowers. Dartmouth, which already has a strong crew program and is prohibited by Ivy League rules to grant scholarships, will feel little effect from the NCAA decision.

Typically, the Big Green, who compete against some of the strongest rowing teams in the nation, organize their own race along with other teams to decide an unofficial national champion.

Men's crew does not have a national championship organized by the NCAA.