Dance troupes explore African rhythm and urban funk

Dance takes on new heights as members of student dance troupes Ujima and Sheba take the stage. The rhythms of Africa and the streets of New York come to Dartmouth, with the student body leading the cheer.

Both ensembles, already veritable hits on campus, have performed at such venues as Collis Common Ground and Dartmouth United's much heralded "jAAm at the AAm."

Ujima, whose name comes from the Swahili word meaning collective work and responsibility, is probably one of the oldest extracurricular dance troupes on campus.

Initiated in 1985 as a part of the Black Underground Theater Association, Ujima wanted to find its own niche and left BUTA's shadow to become a separate entity.

"A lot of people wanted to show their dancing skills," said Jewel Jones '97, a Ujima member since her freshman year.

Jones said many members at the time of Ujima's formation had taken ballet and tap-dance classes and wanted "to showcase their cultural achievement through dance."

Ujima has roots in African dance, modern jazz, modern ballet and funky hip-hop, Jones said.

Shakari Cameron '96 said she was a hesitant at first to join the group.

"Someone asked if I would be interested and one thing led to another," she said.

A member of Ujima since her sophomore winter, Cameron had only praise for the ensemble, which she said "really makes you feel the collective spirit."

"Once you do become a member, you feel a responsibility to carry [Ujima] on. It's the group's spirit of creativity that ties you to the ensemble."

Now boasting a lineup of eight women and two men, the group was showcased last fall in the "Top of the Hop" student performance series.

Jones said the different specialties of each person in the group lends to the diverse productions of the troupe.

"The group consists of members and apprentices. In general, the members choreograph the dances, come up with ideas for the dances, plan the concert and decide when and where we perform," Jones said.

"The apprentices work within the group to help with dances but they are not involved in any administrative things. One has to dance with the group for three terms to become a member," she said.

"Each person has a particular talent and different form of dancing," Jones said.

Ujima will perform their winter concert, titled "Rhythm, Culture, and Movement," on March 3 in Collis Common Ground.

"I have enjoyed Ujima tremendously," said Jamelle Berry '97, Ujima founding member.

"I love to dance and dancing is a great way for me to relax. It is something I really care about," she said.

"Also the people that I work with are wonderful," Berry said.

But Ujima is not the only dance group which has made a stir on campus. Sheba, a group started just this summer, markets itself as the hip-hop dance alternative on campus.

Shelley Castro '97 said in a previous interview with The Dartmouth that the group's dance style, described as hip-hop in its constitution, is similar to what one would see on music videos, particularly those by singer Janet Jackson.

Tanielle McBain '96, the director of the group, said it was formed last August by Jen Pollina '97, Castro, and Michelle Villalobos '96.

"We concentrate on street dancing, hip hop," she said.

According to McBain, future endeavors of the group include trying to put on a performance in the Bentley Theater in the Spring term.

"The long-term goal is to expand so that we can put on big shows in Spaulding with themes such as 'Tribute to Old School' with a huge set and lots of props," McBain said.

Why did the members choose the name Sheba?

Pollina said Castro chose the name Sheba. "It's just something that stands out in your mind," Pollina said.

"I think we most definitely have had a very warm reception on campus," Berry said.

McBain hopes to expand the group's repertory to include reggae/dance hall dancing. McBain also anticipates opening for major performers.