Chamber Singers' 'Feast of Song' sells out five shows

For the last few days, an incredible example of mystical art, music and pageantry has taken the campus by storm. The Chamber Singers' "A Feast of Song" premiered on Thursday night and performed four sold out performances in Collis Common Ground.

Tonight is the final night of yet another sold-out show, and the last evening to sample the visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory and sensual experiences that it offers to the audience. In other words, something to please all the senses.

This year's "Feast of Song" is the culmination of the combined efforts of the Chamber Singers, The Early Music Ensemble and the Courtier's Brass Ensemble.

Music Professor Melinda O'Neal conducted the performance, Robert Castellano directed the Early Music Ensemble and the Charles Houmard coordinated the Courtier's Brass Ensemble. Their combined efforts left the indelible impression of a brief visit to another world.

The action takes place in the court of Queen Elizabeth I. In the stifling heat of the summer of 1570, Lord and Lady Norris, played by Colin Bills '98 and Rain Minns '97, devise rival strategies to keep the queen, entertained at their estate, Rycote, despite the pouring rain.

The success of the queen's visit is complicated by persistent evidence of a plot to assassinate her. Sir Walsingham (Matt Gordon '98), is confounded by the identity of the would-be assassin, despite Lady Walsingham's (Jennifer Land '96), broad hints of her intention to murder Queen Elizabeth (Laura Gibson '99).

The dramatic action is woven together by the music of the three performance groups. Special highlights of the Chamber Singers' vivid performance are the songs: "Sing We and Chant It" (Thomas Weelkes), "Adieu, Sweet Amaryllis" (Thomas Morley), "Kyrie" from Mass in five voices (William Byrd) and "The Silver Swan" (Orlando Gibbons).

The solo performances of "Dear, Do Not Your Fair Beauty Wrong" (Robert Johnson) by Kelii Opulauoho '96 and "The Peaceful Western Wind (Thomas Campion) by April Kimmel '96 contributed significantly to the beauty and lyrical quality of the larger group's repertoire.

The evening was divided by six "fanfares": "The Opening of the Halle," "The Royall Court Processional," "The Ale Processional and Royall Toasts," "The Feast Processional and the Serving of the Guests," "The Court Concert," and "The Recessional." Each one was heralded by cheerful blasts from the Courtier's Brass Ensemble.

Before the show and during the brisk activity surrounding some of the processionals, the strains of the Early Music Ensemble, two roving musicians and a juggling court jester entertained the audience.

The bill of fare itself was a three-course meal based on traditional English cuisine. To add to the medieval feel of the evening, the entire cast of characters, including the "Sundrie Peasants" of the Chamber Singers, were beautifully arrayed in period costumes.

Members of the audience were cordially hosted by the Sundrie Peasants by their serving the food, clearing the places and attending to any of the guests' particular concerns.

The interplay of music, drama, dance, and food immersed the audience in the court of Queen Elizabeth I. The Chamber Singers gathered on the second floor of Collis to serenade the departing audience, concluding their evening in Merrie England.