Celebrate Black History

February is Black History Month. This is an important month for Americans because we learn about the history of a group of people who have helped to shape and define the culture and identity of this nation. It is important to remember that black history is American history, and that it should be remembered throughout the year, not just for 28 or 29 days.

It is interesting that Black History month coincides with the New Hampshire primaries, because thus far, African-Americans, as well as Asians, Latinos, and Native Americans, have been largely ignored, or perhaps forgotten, in the campaign speeches. This is unfortunate because Americans need to discuss their differences instead of trying to sweep everything under the rug. Race relations are just as important as the balanced budget debate.

As the month of February progresses, it is important to keep in mind the past accomplishments and future needs of African-Americans and other groups of color. They should be respected as more than just voters, but as individuals with talents, visions and dreams as well.

African-Americans have helped to build the infrastructure of this country. Benjamin Banneker designed the plans for our nation's capital. Elijah McCoy designed automatic lubrication for steam engines (thus the saying, "the real McCoy") and Garret Morgan made the first traffic light. Lewis Latimer designed the filament which allowed electric current to be transformed into light as well as the first telephone for Alexander Graham Bell. African-Americans have made significant contributions to science, technology, art, music, and writing.

They have impacted this country in numerous ways, but many of them have never been recognized for their contributions and hard work. Most of the millions of slaves who toiled the fields and the thousands of people who died in the civil rights struggle remain nameless. Our country would not be one of the industrial, intellectual and technological leaders of today without the positive influence of African-Americans throughout American history.

Unfortunately, many Americans are still unaware that African-Americans have shaped the U.S. through their accomplishments and hard work. Therefore, the studies of Carter G. Woodson should be recognized and continued today. Carter G. Woodson, an African-American educator and historian, was the founder of the Journal of Negro History in 1916 and the organizer of the first Negro History week in 1926.

Mr. Woodson also tried to implement black history into the educational system. He was seen by many people as the "Father of Negro History," and his dedication as a historian of black history led to the designation of a national Black History Week during the 1970s, and Black History Month in 1976. February was chosen because the black abolitionist Frederick Douglass' birthday was on the 14th and Abraham Lincoln's birthday was on the 12th. Since then, Black History Month has been recognized nationally every year.

I encourage all Americans to continue to read and learn about African-Americans and to appreciate and recognize the contributions our people have made. One way for Dartmouth students to celebrate Black History Month would be to participate in the events which will be sponsored by the Afro-American Society. Through these activities one may learn facets of history he or she is unfamiliar with and have the opportunity to meet and respect people of other backgrounds.