Barring Steelers' miracle

The American Football Conference has lost the last 11 Super Bowls to the National Football Conference, and you can expect the streak to reach 12 after this Sunday's game. On Sunday in Tempe, Ariz., the Pittsburgh Steelers square off against the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX.

The game will focus on the potent offense of the Cowboys and the solid Steeler defense. As much as I'd like to see Pittsburgh win and bring the title back to the AFC, I cannot deny that the Dallas offense is simply too talented.

Dallas' offense is led by seventh-year quarterback Troy Aikman. Coming into his third Super Bowl, Aikman's statistics are tremendous. He has the highest pass completion percentage in Super Bowl history, and has thrown only one interception.

Having a Pro Bowl quarterback doesn't mean much unless he has Pro Bowl receivers to throw to. Aikman has two of the best in wide receiver Michael Irvin and tight end Jay Novacek. Pittsburgh will try to double cover both of these players during obvious passing downs, but look for wide receiver Kevin Williams to step up. In his third year, Williams has been catching more and more balls as defenses key on Novacek and Irvin.

In the unlikely event that Pittsburgh is able to stop Dallas's passing attack, then Pittsburgh must also stop Cowboy's running back Emmitt Smith in order to have a chance. Smith has led the league in four of the past six seasons, and is the third-ranked all time Super Bowl rusher.

The only foreseeable way to stop both Smith and Aikman is by good pressure from the defensive line. Stated simply, this is not going to happen. The Cowboys offensive line weighs in at 1,605 pounds, that's an average of 321 pounds per lineman. Four of the linemen are headed to the Pro Bowl showing they have the talent to complement the bulk.

Not to say that the Pittsburgh defense is a pushover. Outside linebackers Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene provide the strength on a squad Steeler fans are comparing to the "steel curtain" days of the 70s. Pro Bowl cornerback Rod Woodson, who has returned from a tear of his anterior cruciate ligament in just four months, will surely provide on-the-field inspiration. Even these three perennial standouts, however, won't be enough to stop the aerial and ground attack of the Cowboys.

Perhaps the biggest and only advantage the Steelers have is their coach, Bill Cowher. In just his fourth year as head coach of Pittsburgh, he has already become one of the best in the league, but he continues to be a student of the game. Cowher has spoken with ex-Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson, who is 2-0 in the Super Bowl, and former Steelers coach Chuck Noll, who was 4-0 in the Super Bowl about game plans and pregame practice routines. Cowher has the drive to win, but Dallas simply has too many stars.

Dallas will jump out to an early lead and never relent, final score, 38-17.