Football carries four game winning streak to Columbia

After a commanding 23-7 victory at Harvard last weekend, capping a flawless [4-0] month of October, the Big Green Machine rolls into the Big Apple to take on the upstart Lions of Columbia.

Everything is riding on the clash between the Big Green and the Lions Saturday, as both teams are stuck in clear-cut, must-win situations.

Dartmouth, 2-2 in the Ivies and 5-2 overall, brings a four game winning streak, second best in the League this year, to the Lion's den in New York City. The Big Green will also be fighting for their Ivy lives, as one more loss for Dartmouth would kill any chance of a piece of the Ivy Title this year.

Columbia, 3-1 in the League and 3-3-1 overall, has a few scores to settle of its own.

Historically the Ivy League's punching bag, the Lions have put together a tremendous year, with an undefeated Ivy League record before last weekend's embarrassing 44-14 defeat to undefeated Princeton, who now owns sole possession of first place in the Ancient Eight.

Columbia also lost the heart of its offense, quarterback Mike Cavanaugh, for the season due to a broken fibula.

The battered and embarrassed Lions will clearly be gunning for a comeback and proof that they were not a fluke atop the Ivy League standings earlier this year. One more Ivy League win for the so-laughably-bad-for-so-long Lions would also ice their best record since 1971.

If that is not enough, Columbia has not beaten Dartmouth since 1971 when the Lions squeaked by 31-29. Last year, the Lions failed on a two point conversion late in the game to lose to the Big Green, 14-13.

Jon Aljancic '97, the Big Green platooning quarterback along with Ren Riley '96, sees this game as crucial for his teammates.

"This game is easily the most important of the year because our Ivy League title chances are riding on the outcome of it," Aljancic said. "I'm sure they'll come out ready to play with more fire than last week because their title hopes also ride on this game. It's a do or die game for both teams and it should be a good one."

Aljancic, who ran for Dartmouth's two touchdowns against Columbia last year, will be playing a slightly different role this time around.

"Although I think the quarterback rotation makes it a little tougher to get into a rhythm for both Ren and I, as long as we're winning, that's all that matters," Aljancic said. "I think the rotation does keep opponents a little off-guard, and hopefully that continues this week."

For Columbia, its lack of play last week was as uncharacteristic as its confusing combination of a "Lion" nickname and a baby blue team color. With the loss of Cavanaugh, the team will turn over the quarterback reigns to either one of two inexperienced backups, senior Matt Lenzen or sophomore Bobby Thomason.

Columbia will also be forced to rely more on bulky senior running back John Harper, who leads the Ivy League in scoring, averaging 8.57 points a game.

Meanwhile, everything has continued to click for the Big Green thanks in large part to their defense, ranked first in the Ivy's and 13th in the NCAA's in total defense, with 171.3 yards allowed per game. Dartmouth's defense is also second to Princeton in points allowed, allowing only 13.3 per game.

But the cynics still have one argument. Not one of Dartmouth's last four victories, over Lafayette, Yale, Colgate and Harvard, have come off a team with a winning record. A win over Columbia would go a long way in proving that Dartmouth deserves a spot with the leaders of the Ivy League.

Game time is 1 p.m. Saturday at Columbia's Wien Stadium.