Field hockey overcomes Vermont

Just in the nick of time.

With nine seconds remaining in yesterday's game against the University of Vermont, Dartmouth's Sarah Sedgwick '98 found her way out of a scramble at the net and scored, giving the Big Green the win.

The game had been a nail biter up to the final minutes of play, with each team both struggling to score.

"It was definitely a weird shot," Sedgwick said. "I backed the ball into the cage by going around the goalie. Julie [Coach Dayton] kept saying at halftime that we had to score, and we had to go all out. We hustled for everything near the cage and finally the opportunity came."

The game went back and forth for the full hour of play. During the first half Dartmouth had numerous opportunities to score, but just could not put the ball in the net.

"We were playing very well in the first half but just couldn't score," Dayton said. "Our passes were good. We had a lot of shots on goal and had possession. Our finishing got lost."

Dartmouth took 13 shots in the first half, compared to Vermont's two, but was unable to score.

"You really have to give credit to the Vermont goalie, Mindy Vinelli," Dayton said. "She frustrated us in the first half because she blocked everything we gave her. She definitely kept Vermont in the game."

The second half was a bit more stressful for the Big Green.

"It was really frustrating for us," Sedgwick said. "We wanted to go full force to the net but just couldn't. We made Vermont look good in the second half."

Dartmouth's shooting declined as the Big Green only took nine shots in the second half, compared to Vermont's four.

"We lost momentum," Dayton said. "We didn't stay together and didn't make useful passing combinations. Basically, we looked like 11 individuals out there, rather than a team."

But the team emerged.

The last 20 seconds of the game were announced, and the Big Green decided that it was to end- right here, right now. During a huge scramble in front of the Vermont goal, Sedgwick put the ball in the goal and got the job done.

Dartmouth keeper Lauren Demski '96 made six saves in the game, compared to Vinelli's 19. Overall the Big Green took 22 shots in the game.

The win moves Dartmouth's record to 9-5 and brings them closer to the ECAC tournament. This Sunday comes first, though, when the team faces Bucknell on Chase Field at 11:00 a.m.

"This Sunday will be our fourth game in eight days," Dayton said. "We need to stay strong and sharp. Bucknell's skill execution is a lot like Vermont's."