To Win the Presidency

Retired General Colin Powell came to a crossroads last week as his 25-city book tour began. National publications bill him as a presidential hopeful, but Powell, the political man of the moment, has yet to declare a bid for the office.

Powell stands in a unique position. Without pomposity or arrogance, he has arrived victorious at the end of a difficult journey and stands in an excellent position to win the presidency. America loves Powell not because he is a soldier or because he successfully overcame adversity. America loves Powell because he played by the rules -- and won.

During the Vietnam era, our government made difficult decisions when it decided to send American troops into the jungles of Vietnam. Many Americans, President Bill Clinton among them, disagreed with this decision and found a way to avoid service. Not Powell. Of his service in the military, he writes in his autobiography that, "I liked being a soldier, and I liked the friendship that came with being a soldier, and I liked the idea of being in a service. I believed, and still believe there is something noble to it." The rift that has developed between the military and the executive branch would likely disappear with the election of Powell.

Powell represents the "everyman" quality that President Clinton attempts to portray with varying degrees of success. Powell, however, paid his dues with his many years of military service. Also, Powell arrived at this junction on Army salary, although the sales of his new book would provide a foundation for an election campaign. The fiasco of Whitewater brings into question exactly how Clinton obtained the money necessary to mount his political campaigns. Powell reminds us that the presidency can be obtained by any man, not only a man of means. That principle is at the very heart of our democratic system.

Powell needs to enter the Republican primary. Hecould easily defeat Clinton on the Republican ticket since he would bring the moderate voters as well as the Afro-American community into the fold. If he runs as an independent, he might send Clinton back to the White House because he could easily draw many Republican votes away from Senator Bob Dole, splitting the ticket and allowing Clinton the margin he needs to win.

Although Dole is a capable candidate for the Republican nomination, Powell is stronger. Powell represents the future of a Republican party that can speak for a majority of Americans. As many of the current Republican hopefuls alienate the moderate voters with the concessions and pledges to conservative coalitions, Powell finds a position that many Americans can support. He supports a women's right to an abortion, a position that offends many outspoken conservatives, but one that is widely supported among many not only in the public at large, but within the Republican party as well. Powell also opposes school prayer, a traditionally liberal position. He agrees with current Republican efforts to balance the budget, but his moderate views on social issues make him a better candidate than Dole if the Republican party wants to remain the majority party.

Powell's autobiography "My American Journey" contains few decisive positions. But this election already boasted candidates with an excessive amount of dogma. Powell offers America a return to traditional values. These values take new meaning coming from Powell because unlike the many politicians that give long-winded speeches on family values, Powell personifies those merits of courage, perseverance and character.

Powell thinks his position is not a result of his own accomplishments, but rather a failure of both Democratic and Republican leaders. In his book, he states that, "'channel-surfing voters' who ousted Bush in 1992 and elected a Republican Congress in 1994 are not finished. They're still sort of searching for ... some people say a knight on a white horse. Maybe a knight on a black horse!"

America loves Colin Powell for providing an alternative to the career politicians who represent the current choices for the presidency. The public knows that Powell loves America and wants to see the country for which he fought attain it fullest potential. They know that he would put forth his best effort in the office. But more important, they know that if we went to war tomorrow, Powell would pack his bags for battle because he has always played by the rules with pride and without complaint. Few, if any, candidates would do the same.