Rugby clubs seize early wins

After placing first in the Mayor's Cup tournament for the first time in team history last weekend, the Dartmouth women's rugby club sent a warning to the rest of the league.

Despite graduating nine seniors last year, the Big Green demonstrated that teamwork and desire can pull together a new group of starters and lead them to a championship never attained by Dartmouth.

"We've been surprisingly successful," Jenny Bentwood '96 said. "I think we really came together as a team."

In last weekend's tournament, Dartmouth opened with a come-from-behind victory over Williams 21-7. With successful scrumdown and teamwork in the backline, the Big Green's Dawn Elliot '96, Rachell Katz '97 and Carolyn Hall '98 all scored. All three tried were converted by the consistent kicking of Hall.

The second game of the afternoon proved to be far more grueling as Dartmouth faced a tenacious Amherst team. The Big Green held Amherst scoreless in the first half and continued to hold off a dominant Amherst pack throughout the game. Amherst put one try with nine minutes remaining, but the Big Green prevailed 14-5.

The Big Green overcame the University of Massachusetts to win the tournament Sunday afternoon. Again, Dartmouth set their pace for the game in the early minutes with a try by Haas which epitomized the back line's teamwork and excellent handling skills. Elliot would score two more tries forDartmouth in the 21-0 win.

The women ruggers hope to continue their winning streak in their first league game Saturday at 10 a.m. against rival Brown at Sachem Fields.