Professors selected for College tenure

Fourteen professors, including five new faculty members, received tenure at the College effective July 1.

Classics Professor Roger Ulrich said "being tenured offers a lot of security for a faculty member at the College."

Tenured professors have a "more lasting influence on [the] College," said Ulrich, who received tenure this year.

He said professors are usually approached by the Dean of the Faculty and asked to serve on College committees after they receive tenure.

Engineering Professor Ulf osterberg said he also feels "pretty good" about receiving tenure.

osterberg, who has taught at Dartmouth for five years, said he particularly enjoys "the atmosphere, the importance of teaching and the smallness" of the College.

Associate Dean of the Faculty for the Humanities Mary Jean Green described the tenure approval process as complicated.

The candidates must be recommended by their departments, Green said.

Ulrich described the process as "arduous," and called it "a great turning point in your career."

Other professors who received tenure are Geography Professor Adrian Bailey, History Professor Steve Ericson, Physics and Astronomy Professor Marcelo Gleiser, Russian Professor Lenore Grenoble, Physics and Astronomy Professor James La Belle, German Professor Ellis Shookman and Asian Studies Professor Alan Tansman, according to an electronic-mail message from June Sweeney, the administrative assistant in the Dean of the Faculty office.

In addition to Skinner, Asian Studies Professor Sarah Allan, Native American Studies Professor Colin Calloway, Director of the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences Linda Fowler and Dean of the Thayer School of Engineering Elsa Garmire are new tenured arrivals to the College, according to the message.