Group is working for change

To the Editors:

I am responding to those who commented in The Dartmouth last Wednesday. I am the woman who found the Beta poem. In a previous publication I requested anonymity which does not silence myself. I didn't want my name in The D because I feel that it detracts from the issue at hand.Does it really matter who I am? Not one bit.

Some of the women involved preferred not to be recognized as Sigma Delts because they realized that they were not representing Sigma Delta as a whole entity. Other Sigma Delt sisters disagree with their actions. More than 75 percent of our house didn't know about the "Beta poem" until The D printed its article.Also, by misnaming these women as Sigma Delts, one is disregarding other women who were present and made significant contributions to the conversation.

I would like to explain my actions. I didn't step forward sooner because I wasn't sure which road to take. I think what happened was wrong. I was concerned for Beta and the Greek system as a whole.But if this is what occurs within the Greek system, should it still exist?Other social options would appear on campus.But would these social options eliminate sexism and racism?

The Greek system at Dartmouth is unique in that everyone is invited to participate. Closing the Greek system would not stop alcohol from being imbibed nor degrading sexual and racial comments. If anything, it would stop the interactions that occur between random students at a publicized party.

The poem was awful, but it has given us an opportunity to scrutinize our actions, think before we say or write something and discuss this issue to make people aware that sexism and racism will not be tolerated at Dartmouth.

The meeting last Sunday has ended, but that does not mean the discussing has. The group that met decided that a small number present would go to each Greek house and other organizations to discuss sexual and racial relations on this campus. In no way has this discussion ended! We all understand the importance of this issue which is why we are taking the time to discuss it rather than listening to a three-minute apology.

So what do you want? To kick Beta off-campus? To call me a psycho-feminist or a chicken-livered loser? Before doing so please think. What is your final goal? Should we discuss the issue or how the people involved handled it? Should we denounce the Greek system or educate people about what can go on not only in fraternities and sororities, but everywhere in society? The Greek system needs to change. We ALL need to change.Together I hope we will.