Track returns from nationals

Three members of the Dartmouth track and field team finished All-American at the National Collegiate Athletic Association championships on June 4 in Nashville, Tenn.

Sam Wilbur '95 won All-American recognition for the fifth time in his career in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, finishing third with a time of 8:38.91.

Wilbur also won seventh place in the steeplechase at the June 10-11 USA track and field championships in Sacramento, Calif, where he finished the 3,000 meter race with a personal-best time of 8:36.1.

Maribel Sanchez '96 also earned All-American honors, finishing third in the 5,000 meters with a time of 16:27.07.

A third Big Green team member, Kristin Manwaring '96, ended the day as an All-American. Manwaring came in seventh in the 1,500 meters, setting a Dartmouth record with her time of 4:20.52.

Coach Barry Harwick said he was pleased with the performances of the track and field team.

"I was happy with the way things turned out," Harwick said. "We competed against the best people in the country."

Harwick said six Dartmouth athletes participated in the NCAA track and field championships, the most Dartmouth has ever sent.

Sophomore Adam Nelson stopped short of making the finals in the shot put. His best throw was 57'-9". Jenna Rogers '98 and Erin Bouplon '95 also competed.