June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Harvard Archvies presents film festival

Employing color, form and rhythm, avant-garde filmmakers Stan Brakhage and Bruce Posner will present a compilation of 15 hand-crafted films that attest to the depth of expression rarely found in 35 mm filmmaking.

As a part of the Harvard Film Archive, the presentation titled "Spirit Stream Storm" has received rave reviews nationwide for its exuberance, sensuality and energy.

Art New England billed it as "a stimulating rush, invigorating as a sensual experience and laudable love-fest for the tactile pleasures of celluloid at the end of its century of dominance."

"Spirit Stream Storm" is organized into three sections of films that are separated by musical interludes, which add an auditory component to go hand-in-hand with the films.

Along with Brakhages hand-painted gems and Posner's mesmerizing collages, tonight's 94- minute presentation also features artists such as Charles and Ray Eames, Kurt Kren, Sergei Paradjanov, Amanda Katz, Jose Antonio Sistiaga and Thierry Vincens.

"Spirit Stream Storm" will be shown in the Loew Auditorium at the Hood Museum of Art.

Ticket information is available through the Loew box office. The show will begin at 9 p.m.