June 2, 2024 | Latest Issue

Garmire speaks at science awards

The next dean of the Thayer School of Engineering Elsa Garmire yesterday spoke to a group of Women in Science Program interns about careful curiosity in science, the need for relevance in engineering and the importance of friends in society.

Garmire spoke in the Top of the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts to about 120 students. Her speech, "Science, Engineering, and Society: A Continuum," was part of the fourth annual science symposium for undergraduate research in science.

Garmire began by giving various definitions that explain the differences between science and engineering and how the definitions have changed over the years.

"The ultimate goal of science is to provide models that explain the behavior of the physical world," she said.

"Engineering takes the models of science and uses them to make human-made structures and systems for the benefit of humans - to create what people want," she said.

Garmire stressed society also impacts engineering and science as much as they both affect society.

"This continuum is not a one-way flow," she said. "These endeavors, science, engineering and society, are ongoing. Society must moderate the exponential growth, and the decisions [society makes] become political -- it's an interactive system."

"The world is not a boundary. It is a continuum," she said. "Humans draw the boundaries."

Scientists must have curiosity and engineering must be relevant to society, Garmire said.

"Society needs friends," Garmire said. "These here are the people you have for the rest of your life. These friends will make a difference in the future."

Provost Lee Bollinger introduced Garmire to the audience as "somebody you should wish to have here."

"Her only fault, so I have been told, is that she speaks her mind," he added.

Bollinger said when the Thayer School was searching for a new dean this year, they "violated policy" and recommended only one person -- Garmire. Usually, he said, Thayer is required to make three nominations.

Before Garmire's speech, Women in Science Program Director Mary Pavone distributed awards to 21 faculty "mentors" who have been involved with the project interns.