Korean troupe enthralls Rollins crowd

Performing works which have been extant for over 2000 years, a troupe of 10 Korean artists performed a program entitled, "The Classical Music and Dance of Korea," this weekend to a highly captivated audience in Rollins Chapel.

The program, which is the first of a series of Oriental performances on campus this term which includes the upcoming Dartmouth drama, Noh by Yukio Mishima and the Loew Theater focus on Chinese Cinema: The Fifth Generation, was as exquisite as it was moving.

The 10 performing artists, based at the Korean Traditional Performing Arts Center in Seoul, executed a myriad of court music and dance while wearing traditional costumes and playing antique instruments authentic to the era.

The performance also served to spotlight two members of the ensemble who have been named National Living Treasures by the Korean Ministry of Culture. Chung Jae-Guk, designated a National Living Treasure in 1993, is credited with restoring the processional music which has slowly become extinct follwing the Korean War.

Performing selections on instruments which may seem strange to Western audiences, the troupe showcased Korean court music and dance which reflected a wide array of discordant melodies and Eastern rhythms.

Playing a simple bamboo flute, an artist in the troupe delivered the Sanjo, which is derived from shaman music from the southern area of Korea. It consists of several movements in different rhythmic patterns and features a solo performer.

The musician began his piece with subtle, moving passages and ended the piece in an ecstatic frenzy full of melodic decorations. The most notable aspect of his majestic performance was the way in which he manipulated the instrument, oscillating between low and high registers.

Another memorable form presented was the Kagok which is the most artistic vocal music in terms of beauty of form, instrumental accompaniment and richness of expression.

Featuring a male voice, the kagok also showcased a small ensemble of string and wind instruments. The strong male voice was the gem of this performance. Powerful and commanding, his bellowing voice provided a harmonic three-partite completeness to the piece.

Other forms performed included: Ch'unaengjon is a solo court dance composed by a crown prince and contains all of the movements that are required in the court dance genre.

Taech'Wit'a is a military processional music performed as the court moved from one area of the country to another or visited foreign lands.

Sujech'on is one of the best known pieces in the court music repertory dating back to the seventh century.It was used for royal processions and at court banquets as well as an accompaniment to several court dances.

Timeless and dramatic, the performance provided a unique experience for Western audiences. Compelling and highly emotional, the performance was unforgettable.