Awaiting Social Equity

As I read Monday's article on gender equity at Dartmouth, I was glad to learn that many of the issues surrounding the Greek system are at least being discussed. A few weeks ago, a single editorial against the system by Sean Donahue evoked a rash of pro-Greek responses, but few letters in support of his ideas.

This reaction was surprising considering that many people do not support the Greek system. Perhaps the only explanation is that these people have chosen not to be a part of the debate. They have decided that worrying about the fraternities is not worth the effort, especially when the majority of students support the system.

This points to one of the key problems at Dartmouth. Students who do not fit into the largely white, male dominated social system have removed themselves from the mainstream and found alternatives on the outside. What results is a statistically diverse campus on which there is not nearly enough communication and interaction between the many racial, ethnic, and gender based sub-groups.

One example of this is student publications. There are presently only three female columnists for The Dartmouth -- the only paper which serves the entire Dartmouth community, men and women alike. While some women here may not feel particularly empowered to express their concerns, others, including some of the best writers, have chosen to write for alternative publications like Spare Rib. And it's easy to see why: in writing for Spare Rib, they ensure a thoughtful audience with whom a real dialogue can take place.

But aside from the fact that many of the fraternities and sororities appeal to students from a rather narrow set of backgrounds, there are other problems with the system as well.

First, it is tremendously hypocritical for a coeducational institution such as Dartmouth to support a system in which the dominant social scene takes place on all male turf. This is a problem whether or not you believe that the Greek system can change problems of alcohol and sexual abuse on its own. As many commented in the Monday's paper, women simply do not have an equal role in the social life at Dartmouth.

As a result, Dartmouth has had a hard time convincing prospective students that alternatives do exist. Many accepted applicants, men and women alike, have chosen not to attend either because they are intimidated by the fraternities or because they are not willing to spend their time at college finding alternatives to a system which they do not support. Those who attend in spite of their distaste for the system know that they will be on the outside from the very start.

But the majority of students come to Dartmouth without a clear idea of where they will fit. Following their first year, many sophomores want to meet new people and develop strong friendships. They turn to Greek houses as one of the few available options -- a unwanted compromise for many.

For this reason, the system perpetuates itself. With a monopoly on the social life, fraternities legitimize their existence on the basis of there being few other options. Nevertheless, many involved with the Greek system are not wholly satisfied -- it is no surprise that so many seniors de-pledge each year. This is one of the best kept secrets at Dartmouth. It is unfortunate that many sophomores never hear the regrets of upper-class students who have experienced the Greek system first hand.

We need to consider some of the alternatives. Perhaps Dean of the College Lee Pelton's first year plan will improve residential social spaces so that students feel a part of a community from the very start. If this happens, sophomores may find that they have less need to join a Greek house in their sophomore year -- they will already have strong friendships that carry over from freshman year.

In the long run, some of the fraternity houses could be converted to coed houses like those at other schools. These could provide social outlets in a similar way to the fraternities right now -- the difference would be that women would be a part of the planning and could ensure a safer and more equitable social environment. Men and women would no doubt still have the opportunity to interact in single sex settings, but they would not dominate the social life at Dartmouth. And there is no reason to believe that co-ed houses would do less community service -- they would probably do more.

The fact is that we need to learn to live with one another on an equal footing. We need to know how to interact socially in more ways than house formals and fraternity parties. And women must have an equal role in determining the direction of the social life. Only then will we begin to address some of the deeper issues of sexism and inequality at Dartmouth.