Safety and Security not responsible for arrest figures

Jared Friedland's opinion piece ("Alcohol Arrest Numbers Don't Add Up", Feb. 9) appears to have been based on some misconceptions. First, the arrest rate for liquor violations, as reported in the federally-mandated Annual Security Report, is not within the College's control. Unlike many institutions, Dartmouth's security officers do not have arrest powers. Their authority is limited to enforcement of College rules and regulations. Arrests in Hanover may only be made by the Hanover Police, who provide statistics to the College annually to meet the federal reporting requirement. Because of differences from campus to campus in structure, authority and relationships with surrounding communities for reporting purposes, simple comparisons of the numbers in these reports can be very misleading.

Friedland also questions whether Dartmouth's enforcement policies jeopardize "students' health and safety." His emphasis on College enforcement is misplaced. If a student chooses to risk his health, or that of another, to save the cost of medical care at Dick's House or the hospital, it is that student's choice -- not the College's -- that poses the threat. I hope that the students Friedland refers to will carefully consider the potential consequences of not obtaining medical assistance for a friend who needs it.

Safety and Security Officers do not do room by room searches for underage drinking. Almost all of the individuals who encounter Safety and Security while under the influence have called attention to themselves by their own behavior. If they do not appear to be at risk, they are left in the care of a friend for the night. If they do appear to be at risk, they are taken to Dick's House, or the hospital if necessary, for a medical assessment. In some instances, students call for assistance under the "Good Samaritan Clause" of the Alcohol Policy, which states:

"When a student or organization assists an intoxicated individual in procuring the assistance of Safety and Security, local or state police, and/or medical professionals, neither the intoxicated individual, if a Dartmouth student, nor the individual or group who assists will be subject to formal disciplinary action for (1) being intoxicated, or (2) having provided that person alcohol."

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at 646-2234.