June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Political Apathy Due to Overload

According to a survey of freshman attitudes released last month, this year's group of college freshmen is less interested than ever in keeping up with politics. "This year's college freshmen are more disengaged from politics than any previous entering class," concludes the survey, which is based on the responses of 237,777 students at 461 of the nation's two- and four-year colleges and universities, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times. Less than one- third of freshmen who enrolled last fall said keeping up with political affairs is an important goal in life -- a record low.

Are we really that apathetic to the workings of the democratic process? According to the Los Angeles Times article, survey director Alexander W. Astin described today's freshmen as "people who don't see themselves as being part of the democratic process, who don't even understand how democracy works." He went on further to note, "when people become disengaged, they don't bother to inform themselves and they make themselves more vulnerable to manipulation."

Maybe a better explanation lies in the fact that we are suffering from political over-exposure. Since when did everything that occurred on campus become political? Lest one ascribe this diagnosis of over-politicization to hyperbole or paranoia, think about how individuals and groups relate to each other on campus. The truth is that anything can be considered a political issue on campus, from history and literature classes, to social relationships and even private conversation.

It is very true that we become more vulnerable to manipulation when we do not bother to inform ourselves, but it also seems as if the more we are being informed, the more we are being manipulated. Statistics may be plastered across campus and placed in our Hinman boxes, but it does not seem as if we are any better off for all the information we receive. This, in turn, may be attributed to the cynicism to which we can too often succumb in "politicized" matters. We are inundated with "political" issues and the correct way of thinking about them on campus to the point of overload, and in response, we simply shut down.

A good example can be seen right here at Dartmouth in the way that the Student Assembly is viewed. Many see it as a breeding ground for budding politicians or a forum for advancing narrowly construed individual agendas, and choose to simply ignore it. Of course, the Student Assembly is much more than the stereotype presented above, but if one chose to support that exaggerated view, there would be no lack of convincing evidence to support the claim.

Another area where this can be seen is in the zealous pursuit of "consciousness-raising" and fervent preaching of the gospel of awareness. As with almost all well-intentioned movements, a penumbral illumination of the truth of most issues results, but we fail to deal with the basic problems because we fail to challenge the individual to get the answers for himself. Instead, we supply "facts", statistics and graphs, and tell the individual what to think rather than allow for his own good judgment. Without Social Issues Night (now euphemistically termed "Community at Dartmouth") or any other "awareness raiser", we would still know how to deal with each person as an individual with understanding and compassion. If we could not, then skits and statistics would be no help anyway.

The domain of politics has extended too far. There has been and will continue to be a reaction against this intrusion for as long as its undermining influence persists. Until then, give your fellow Dartmouth students and college freshmen nationwide the respect they deserve.