Donahue's claims based on 'complete hearsay'

To the Editor:

In response to Sean Donahue's somewhat aggressive column, ("College Should Stop Supporting Frats," Feb. 13) we would like to state that his "well documented" conclusions are misguided theories that have in no way been proven by any documentation that carries any degree of credibility. We would add that we would love to read through any report that proves us wrong.

Donahue cites his own letter (that "90 students, faculty members, staff members and alumni sent") in which he stated that the fraternity system is the cause of all the greatest woes on campus. We can account for over half of the College's students and alumni that have been or presently are active members of the Greek community at Dartmouth. If Donahue wishes to claim that his small band should have more of a say on this campus than the majority, then we would state that he has an over-exaggerated sense of moral superiority.

Donahue also claims that the fraternity system "supports rape myths [that cause] fraternities to create brothers who are more likely to rape or harass women." He uses as his basis for this conclusion the fact that fraternities are based on exclusion of the female gender and "their use of initiation rituals which establish a hierarchy based on sex, gender and sexuality." Has Donahue witnessed the initiation ceremonies of all the houses on campus? We can only claim to have seen one, and therefore do not have the right to state that we know on what exactly each one is based.

He accuses each fraternity brother of being "complicit in the creation of a rape culture." Does he know every fraternity brother? Does he know the ideals, morals and guiding forces behind each house's central tenets? Does he truly believe that every male who decides to join a certain organization is at fault for the regeneration of sexual assault on college campuses? We agree with him that sexual assault represents the worst violation of women's rights, but we do not accept his misguided verdict that the fraternity system is culpable for its existence. We consider that an insult to us and an offense against the women who choose to spend time here. In fact, we know a good deal of women who feel safer in the confines of a fraternity house than in their dormitory rooms.

Donahue continues his denunciation of single-sex fraternities by stating that the fraternity system promotes anti-intellectualism. It is an unrealistic notion to say that taking away a socially comfortable environment for both men and women will promote intellectualism. We're curious to know where Donahue has found these highly enlightened discussions; they certainly do not occur in Baker Library, in Food Court, or in crossing the Green at night. When was the last time Donahue entered a fraternity house and tried to have an intellectual conversation? We certainly don't remember seeing him anywhere in our house, especially not in our library, where intellectualism thrives beyond that which we experienced in dormitory life.

So that these absurd accusations do not continue in the future, we extend an open invitation for Donahue to come learn from the intellectual activity in our house. We believe that the entire basis of Donahue's claims against the system are complete hearsay, as we doubt that he has really gone out of his way to prove his hypotheses wrong or right.

Donahue brings his discourse to a close by challenging fraternities' right to assemble, as it is apparently determined "to engage in abusive behaviors [and] create an unjust social system." Would he also challenge the College's policy of multiculturalism? Let's be honest -- taking away the presence of every race but one would prevent any type of racial tensions. Of course this is an absurd proposal, as the presence of people of different backgrounds and ideas is part of the college educational process. Taking away the presence of 17 organizations completely run by students would be as detrimental to the educational process as removing countless races from the rolls of the College.

In conclusion, we would like to say that if the College has the right to shut down completely student-run, student-owned and student-operated organizations, then we should all be scared. Crackdowns on organizations that may seem to go against the ruling minority have been characteristics of every tyranny, dictatorship and totalitarian regime in history.

We do not accept Donahue's moral minority as the ethical police of this campus. We'll continue to believe in our fraternity's morals and its idea of the true gentleman, and know that we have done no wrong.