C&G - Divisive & Selective

I had my heart set, as a freshman, on joining Casque and Gauntlet when I became a senior. I saw this as the recognition of my yet-to-come contributions to Dartmouth. I believed that I had always had "high ideals and character," and would be recognized for that.

Being a member of C&G, besides being a recognition of one's "high ideals and character," is a valuable privilege. College administrators consult with members when they need advice on various issues. The physical plant is simply beautiful. And one is a member of an intellectual community. Who would not want to be a member?

These are, of course, privileges which are rare outside of such a society. Most students do not have clout with the Administration. Many students would appreciate having a building in which to form an intellectual community; unfortunately, the major spaces on campus are dominated by the CFSC, which is not explicitly comprised of intellectual communities. One's ego is not hurt by recognition, by a "reward" (as a member of C&G described it to me). Membership in C&G is success.

The first question that entered my mind when I wasn't selected, was why I hadn't been given the opportunity to apply. One cannot ask to be considered, or present one's qualifications; the process is secret. I was just told to trust that if I had high ideals and character, I would be noticed. One member explicitly told me that her selection was a result of the fact that she had accomplished more than me.

The message presented by such a selection process is that success can be gauged by visible signs. Nepotism aside, these signs would have to be visible enough to ensure that the greater Dartmouth Community would notice. If you believe that true social change only comes about from the bottom, from affecting people's lives, then you do not have 'high ideals.' Success is measured in grandiosity -- in the number of people who notice you. Outside of Dartmouth, this translates into big houses, big cars, big bank accounts. High ideals seem to be a nobler aim than a diversified portfolio. In reality, the thing which gets you into C&G is not having high ideals, but rather having visible ideals.

Success, by such a construction, is necessarily inaccessible to the multitudes. Not everybody can be economically rich in a massified capitalist society. Not everybody can be visible in a community such as ours, in which all members do not know each other by name. Not everybody can succeed, and be granted the privileges of a society with limited membership. Most people must not receive those privileges, must not be rewarded for their accomplishments, because they have accomplished less. Most people must fail.

Why must our society be built on competition? Why must it be built with a promise of success, compelling people to sacrifice themselves, to try to reach the top, even though most people are doomed not to win? Why must we, surrounded by such a competitive society, create divisions within our own community?

Of course I would have joined Casque and Gauntlet last year, had I been invited. Who would refuse such an offer?