Moore Adopted Rhetoric of Victim

To the Editor:

In reading Danielle Moore's commentary on why she quit her post as president of the Assembly, I was struck by both her inconsistency in reason and outright willingness to adopt the rhetoric of victimology.

I am not sure from reading her commentary if she is resigning due to the political opposition she felt in Assembly meetings, or because of the lack of respect she claimed due to her gender.

Either way her stated reasons for quitting are senseless at best.

Throughout her commentary she writes that many Assembly leaders did not accept her as a female leader or show her the respect she felt she deserved as a woman and a president.

I was always taught that one earned respect based on sound decisions and excellence in performance, not merely because one holds a certain position or title. Male or female!

By saying that this lack of respect is due to her gender, Moore is again playing the victim and martyr that we saw a year ago with her much publicized depledging of Delta Delta Delta sorority.

In regards to her opposition to the constitution and operational procedure of the Assembly, in which she felt her "hands were tied," it seems that Moore was never taught the idea of checks and balances that any democratic form of government needs to fight abuses of power and guarantee legitimate representation.

Moore's dismay at finding Assembly members who actually questioned her decisions and would not lie down and accept her platform does indeed show her naivete to political leadership.

The Student Assembly is a place to foster debate and discourse between all students, of all opinions and ideas, over the issues that affected them.

I guess Moore thought that her election to the office of the presidency gave her the right to put her own issues first and not expect opposition to them. Again, perhaps she was never taught the ideals of a democratic form of government.

Although I am not a reactionary person, her segregation of herself as a "leader of women on this campus" made me rethink the support I showed her last spring.

Because I'm not and could never be a "sister or wife," I guess my place in Moore's agenda as Student Assembly president was cursory at best.

I hope that when Vice President Rukmini Sichitiu takes office next term she broadens her perspective on the leadership position she now holds.