Rugby stomps Harvard 43-13

The Dartmouth Rugby Football Club opened its 1994 season with an impressive victory, completely dominating Harvard 43-13 in Cambridge, Mass.

Harvard was expected to provide a difficult test for the Big Green -- last year, Harvard narrowly defeated Dartmouth to win the New England Premier League.

Todd Aaron '96 opened up the scoring by breaking three tackles and diving in for the game's first try. But Harvard took advantage of a porous Dartmouth defense and countered with two penalty goals to take a 6-5 lead.

The Crimson continued to press and were threatening the Big Green goal line when Aaron intercepted a Harvard pass and sprinted for the goal line 80 meters away.

Aaron flicked the ball to captain Onesmus Radebe '95 a few feet from the goal line.

Radebe went over the line for five more points.

The Big Green then put the game away, scoring the next 19 points, capped off by a try by Guy Dixon '95. It was Dixon's second try of the game.

Aaron, Radebe and Dixon each scored once more to make the final score 43-13. It was the biggest win over Harvard in 10 years.

Next weekend the rugby team faces the University of Connecticut.

Anyone interested in joining the team should show up for practice at Sachem Fields Tuesday through Thursday at four o'clock.