Baseball relies on young team

Youthful exuberance and developing talent? This season's Dartmouth baseball team routinely displays such qualities. Youthful inconsistency? Well, they bring that along too.

The Big Green (2-6 overall, 0-0 Ivy League) are especially inexperienced in the infield and up the middle, the most crucial defensive positions.

Dartmouth is playing freshmen and sophomores at first base (Rusty Gaynes '97), second base (Mike Habeeb '97), shortstop (John McEwan '96), third base (Jake Isler '96 and Simon Tripp '96), catcher (Greg Gilmer '96) and centerfield (Andrew Spencer '97).

Dartmouth coach Bob Whalen knows the Big Green will commit errors in the field as part of their growing pains. "We're going to have to live with their mistakes," Whalen said.

Designated hitter Travis Horton '96 added, "We still need to polish up on our execution of routine plays, particularly the double play. Good teams turn the trick when the game is on the line."

Of course, Dartmouth's youth does bring with it the twin advantages of optimism and desire. "We're all looking forward this season to playing together," Spencer said of the younger players. "We're hungry."

"As we settle into regular game situations, the guys will put it together for some big wins this year," Horton said. "We're all confident; we know we're good ballplayers. This team has the potential to go all the way."

Despite all the talk about the Big Green's young talent, Whalen describes the club's starting pitching experience as its primary strength.

The three-man rotation includes two seniors - Rick MacDonald and captain Steve Murphy - and junior Mike Tallman. "They are kids who will keep us in most of the conference games," the coach said.

The Big Green exuded both its good and its bad team attributes on its trip to California and Washington over Spring Break. Dartmouth pounded out a 24-4 win over Western Baptist University, defeated Concordia University-Irvine 8-5 and outhit the 21st-ranked University of Washington Huskies 12-10 in a 13-8 loss.

On the other hand, the Big Green fell to Gonzaga College, the University of Portland, Pacific University (Oregon), Biola College and Pomona-Pitzer College on the trip.

Despite the losses, the venture to the West Coast inspired Whalen. "I'm very pleased with our effort. We accomplished what we wanted to do. That whole experience was very special."

The four game split on the Los Angeles portion of the trip especially pleased the coach. "Those schools are pretty darn good," Whalen said. "There are so many good Californian kids."

The trip, especially the hard-fought Washington contest in Seattle's Kingdome, encouraged Spencer.

"There have been times when we've shown we can play with anyone," the centerfielder said. "We hit the ball really well. We made a few mistakes here and there, [25 errors, .909 fielding percentage] but that's going to happen at that point in the season."

Spencer and Horton particularly stood out for Dartmouth out West. The Ivy League named the fleet freshman its Rookie of the Week for his efforts. Spencer leads the club in hits (11), RBI (9), stolen bases (3) and runs (9).

"I have no reputation, no name for myself, so I tried to show what I could do to Coach Whalen," Spencer said.

Count Whalen duly impressed. "I expected him to be a good player, but I didn't expect all that he did on the trip," the coach said.

Horton nailed down an Ivy League Honor Roll mention with his Weft Coast effort. The designated hitter batted .476 and slugged .667 on the road swing and added six RBI. His productive trip provided the sophomore with confidence for the season ahead.

"I see myself as the DH as long as I'm making good contact with the ball," Horton said.

As The Who might say, "The kids are alright." Next up: Ivy League Competition. Play ball.