Rust, dirt linger in water

Several water main breaks in Hanover over the weekend have left a rust-brown discoloration in the water supply, which presents no health hazard to users and should be cleared up by today.

"The water should be clear today," said John Defoe, a foreman at the Hanover Water Company. But he said some discoloration may linger in the water.

The water discoloration is caused by rust and dirt stirred near the broken area of the pipes.

Defoe said the water may take a few days to become completely clear because Water Company employees usually flush the pipes in the affected area, but were unable to do so this weekend.

"We were so busy we just hope it will settle down by itself," he said. "It is not harmful at all."

The water may permanently discolor clothing, and it is recommended that students not wash light colored clothing for the next day or two, Steve Mischissin, assistant director of Facilities, Operations and Management, cautioned.

The breaks are not unusual for this time of year, Mischissin said. "It is pretty routine stuff when that happens."

But there were three freeze-ups of water pipes this weekend alone, compared to none all of last year, according to Defoe.

The rash of broken pipes have left Water Company employees extremely busy making repairs.

"We worked last night until 1:30," Defoe said.

The large number of freeze-ups is due to the intense cold and the large fluctuations in temperature that Hanover has experienced this winter, Defoe said.

Defoe said the pipes are not the only victims of the weather. Three fire hydrants have snapped, he said, probably due to water expanding when it turns into ice.

Mischissin said there is a plan in place to inform students when a water main break affects the College.

"Normally we get a lot of calls once that has occurred," Mischissin said. Mischissin said he then notifies department heads and other College employees by BlitzMail, who pass on the word to students.

The Hanover Water Company is a private corporation, although both the College and the town of Hanover are shareholders.