College Recognizes new undergraduate society

Amarna, a co-educational social organization separate from the Greek system, obtained temporary College recognition Friday.

The group said it plans to ask for permanent recognition at the end of the term.

Because of the new provisional status, the organization can begin advertising and programming in College facilities, Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco said.

The Panarchy became the College's first recognized undergraduate society at the beginning of last term.

"It's a huge victory for us," said Christine Carter '94, one of Amarna's founders. "Now we can do whatever we need to do under the name of Amarna."

Seven students, led by Carter and Duncan Hodge '94 and advised by English Lecturer Terry Osborne, formed Amarna last term in hopes that it would become a viable social alternative to the Greek system.

"I think this is a new way to deal with people who don't necessarily dislike the Greek system but feel it's not for them," Carter said.

Hodge and Carter are both former Greek house members. Hodge was a member of Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, and Carter was a member of Sigma Delta sorority.

The founding group also comprises: Auguste Goldman '94, campus activist; John Peoples '96; Rachel Perri '94, the former Panhellenic Council president; Andrew Smith '94, the former Student Assembly vice president; Claire Unis '95, editor in chief of Spare Rib, a women's issue publication.

All members of Amarna except Smith and Peoples used to belong to a Greek house. Goldman became inactive in Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity last term.

The Amarna founders met with Turco and Dean of the College Lee Pelton on Friday. Turco said Amarna had to present a working constitution with a statement of purpose and show how recognizing the organization would be in the best interests of the College.

Turco said she and Pelton agreed to recognize the group after reading the constitution and talking to members.

Amarna currently does not have a physical home, but Turco said the College will try to find it temporary housing by Spring term. By Fall term, Turco said she hopes the College will be able to provide the new group with a permanent residential plant.

"We're doing our best," Turco said. "We couldn't make them any guarantees but we'd do our best to identify a building that's best for them."

Turco said she is very supportive of Amarna, and thinks it will answer some students' pleas for more social options.

"Dartmouth students are looking for social alternatives," Turco said. "This provides an interesting social alternative for students who may not have found what they're looking for at Dartmouth."

Amarna's constitution has nine statements of purpose, most of which revolve around making the organization open to the entire College community.

As an undergraduate society, Amarna has no rush or pledge activities, and new members are given equal status to other members after attending a retreat and signing a membership contract.

Any upperclass student who is not a member of a Greek house or another undergraduate society can join. Since freshmen are not allowed to join undergraduate societies, Amarna will not have an advantage over Greek houses in recruiting them.

Students who are affiliated with a Greek organization needs to inactive their membership before signing up with Amarna.

But Hodge said one advantage an undergraduate society has over a Greek house is that it is a new concept.

"We're dealing with a blank slate," he said. "We're not defined by tradition nor are we excluding any tradition."

Carter said this will be an organizational term for Amarna. The group will have an informational meeting for interested students sometime in the next few weeks, and is planning a retreat in early February.

"We have to have all the bricks in place before we open it up and make it a really super place," she said. "I'm really excited about this new option and I'm really thankful to the administration for all their support."

Turco also said she thinks undergraduate societies can be a good alternative to the Greek system.

"I feel it's a good social option for students," Turco said. "Some students elected not to become involved in the CFS organization because they don't want to go through a pledge period, and some people are looking for more co-ed options."

Amarna has a membership cap of 75. Turco said if Amarna reaches that number she hopes students will create more undergraduate societies.

Turco said she is excited that Amarna gained recognition just two weeks after the Collis Center opened as a building dedicated to providing more social options.