Women's rugby club aims for victories

As the leaves change colors and fall around the green fields of Sachem, the Dartmouth women's rugby club practices their rucks, mauls, scrums, line outs, and quick passing in preparation for the fall of their New England competitors.

The home game against the University of Vermont two weeks ago began the season with a roar as Nicole Carrier '94 took off after a bold series of grub kicks by Keirsten Lawton '94 for a diving try. A breakaway try by speedy 'Mishauna Goeman '94 on the wing secured the lead for the Big Green.

Carrier again demonstrated her scoring prowess with another try to defeat the University of Vermont, 21-5. Flyback Lawton's strong kicks completed all three conversions.

The Killer B's composed mostly of new players, demonstrated a fearless commencement of their rugby careers in games against Bishop's University, Wellesley and the B-side of the Boston Women's team over the past two weeks.

Also, the athletic ability of many of the '97s allowed them to pick up the game easily, building a strong foundation for the future of the club.

The DWRC faces challenging League games against other New England college teams in the upcoming weeks including Amherst and the University of Connecticut.

The club also looks forward to the upcoming Beantown Tournament, traditionally a showcase for strong teams in the League.

Through aggressive play that new coach Barb Bond calls "attacking rugby", the team hopes to play in the New England Championships and possibly qualify for Nationals.

"Although we've lost players in key positions, we're trying to play a very dynamic game," Bonds said. "I'm very excited to be here coaching as a part of a great athletic tradition."

The Big Green face Ivy rival Radcliffe at Sachem Field Saturday in their first League game of the season.

With a successful record against Radcliffe in past Ivy League Championships, the DWRC hopes to begin their advance to the New Englands.

The speed and individual strength of the backline and the development of the Green scrum's powerful potential forecasts an optimistic autumn season for the DWRC.