Football wins at Bucknell

It's generally a bad sign when your football team doesn't win its first game of the season until October. Especially when that team happens to be the three-time defending Ivy League champions and a pre-season favorite to win a fourth.

No one felt that burden more than the Dartmouth football team and no one was happier than that unit to erase that big, ugly zero in the win column with a 31-13 pounding of Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Penn. on Saturday.

Fittingly, it was a case of what goes around comes around.

After a pair of losses in which Dartmouth was victimized by a rash of turnovers and offensive mistakes, the Big Green defense worked Bucknell for six turnovers.

"I told the guys going into the game that these two teams were in very similar situations," Coach Lyons said. "They both needed a win really bad and they both lost games because of offensive mistakes. I felt that the team that capitalized on the other team's mistakes was going to win."

Lyons could not have been more prophetic. Dartmouth scored 24 points, including all 14 of its second-half points, either as a result of turnovers or on drives in which it gained possession on a turnover.

And while the Dartmouth defense put together another outstanding performance, the real story of the game was the emergence of the offense, which came to life after sputtering in the Big Green's first two losses.

Even Jay Fiedler '94 showed signs of breaking out of his slump. Although his numbers -- 15-30, 177 yards, two interceptions and two touchdowns -- were not flashy, Fiedler commanded his team with the confidence of a three-year starter and at times lofted the team up on his considerable shoulders.

In short, Fiedler did what it took to get the job done. And he wasn't alone in that department. Throughout the day, Dartmouth's offense was a collection of spare parts that could do no wrong.

In the backfield, Ken Gordon '95 had his best game of the season, rushing for 41 yards in 10 attempts. Much of that yardage came behind the blocking of fullback Chris Umscheid '94 and an offensive line that pried open large wholes in an obviously overmatched Bucknell front five.

Brian Bajari '95, who returned after missing a week due to a shoulder injury, freshman Ambrose Garcia, playing in his first varsity game, and Umscheid also contributed to what was the Big Green's best running performance to date -- 138 net yards.

Still, it was the defense that was making things happen with a lascivious lust for leather.

Dartmouth jumped in the lead early thanks to the Bison's propensity towards losing the football. The Big Green built a 10-0 lead by mid-way through the first quarter on a 26-yard Geoffrey Willison '95 field goal and a Bucknell fumble that Colin Corgan '95 returned five yards for a touchdown.

After Bucknell's first three possessions ended in turnovers, two of which were on interceptions by Brian White '95 and Joe Perry '94, the Bison mounted their only scoring drive of the day.

Really, it was the only time all day that Dartmouth's defense broke down. The touchdown came when quarterback Travis Kopp managed to beat a monstrous Dartmouth blitz and float a screen pass to Brad Bernardini. With all of the Big Green linebackers throwing themselves at Kopp and the secondary in man coverage, it was off to the races for the speedy Bernardini, who streaked 42-yards for the score.

It wouldn't take long for the defense to have a chance to atone for its sins. On the Big Green's next play from scrimmage, Fiedler tossed the first of two interceptions of the day when Bison cornerback Mark Miller anticipated what was to be a quick out pass to David Shearer '95.

Miller's interception plunked Kopp and company just 23-yards from seven points and their first lead of the game. But instead of jumping ahead, the Bisons couldn't crack through 11 stingy Dartmouth defenders.

After three running plays netted only nine yards, Bucknell coach Lou Maranzana, Dartmouth '70, called a passing play on fourth and one that Ryan Spayde '94 batted down.

That fierce stand highlighted a second quarter in which the parsimonious Dartmouth defense limited Bucknell to minus-three yards of offense and no first downs.

Offensively, Dartmouth added one more touchdown in the second quarter with a 57-yard, seven play drive. Umscheid capped the drive with a two-yard plunge that pushed Dartmouth's lead to 17-7 at the half.

After Hunter Buckner '95 disrupted Bucknell's first scoring effort of the second half with the first of his two interceptions, Fiedler connected with Andre Grant '95 on a 47-yard pass play for his second touchdown pass of the day.

What put the game out of reach for Bucknell was the next exchange. Bucknell pushed deep into Dartmouth territory with the help of a fake punt in its most sustained drive of the afternoon only to have Mark Gentile cough up a ball at the end of a 28-yard pass play that was covered by Chris Boran '95.

The Big Green then chewed off 7:37 of the clock with a 14 play, 85 yard scoring drive. Fiedler completed all five of his passing attempts and scrambled twice for 30 yards. Umscheid and Gordon carried the ball the rest of the way, including an eight-yard touchdown run for Gordon.

The Bison scored once in the fourth quarter when a blitzing Bucknell linebacker blindsided Fiedler with a vicious hit causing Fiedler to fumble the ball. Bucknell right end Cecil Boone lumbered 25 yards for the touchdown, but the Bisons never seriously threatened Dartmouth down the stretch.