'Womyn' post stickers

A group of approximately 10 students plastered the campus Sunday night with stickers proclaiming "womyn are everywhere" in an effort to draw attention to women's issues and to provide Dartmouth with a radical voice, one member of the group said.

The group attached the white stickers with plain black letters to buildings, bathroom walls, sign posts, windows and other locations around campus including the backs of cars parked in several fraternity parking lots.

"By printing a fact on a sticker, we turned the message into a symbol; a symbol which strikes each person differently," said one woman who put up the stickers and who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The sticker's ambiguous message was intentional, she said.

"They don't really say anything specific and yet they say a lot," the woman said. "We picked the female symbol because it means so many different things to so many people," she added.

"We meant to challenge, to excite, to threaten and to support," the woman said. "The stickers are supposed to make people think."

Although Proctor Robert McEwen said Safety and Security had not received any complaints about the stickers, Brian Hone '95 filed a complaint with Hanover Police Monday after discovering a sticker on the rear bumper of his car parked outside of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

Stickers were also seen on cars parked behind Chi Gamma Epsilon and Phi Delta Alpha fraternities. The group intentionally targeted cars parked in fraternity lots, the woman said.

Hanover Police Officer Patrick O'Neil said he found stickers on three vehicles parked in Sig Ep's lot when he arrived, but Hone told him the stickers were on all six to eight cars parked overnight there.

O'Neil said the placement of the stickers could be punishable with fines up to $1000 for each sticker.