NCAA tourney game for women's lacrosse

For the second time in history, the Big Green women's lacrosse team will participate in the NCAA Tournament.

The Big Green was invited to the six-team field after posting marks of 11-3 overall and 4-2 in the Ivy League this season.

Dartmouth's only other trip to the tournament was in 1983 when the Big Green lost to Princeton, 12-10 in the first round.

Dartmouth will face Harvard in Cambridge, Ma. on Saturday, May 8 in the opening round. Princeton will host Penn State in the other first-round game.

The winner of the Dartmouth/Harvard game will face the University of Virginia at the University of Maryland on May 15-16, and the winner of the Princeton/Penn State match-up will play against 1992 national champion Maryland in the semifinals.

The Big Green faced four of the five other schools in the tournament during the regualr season. At the end of spring break, the women fell to Maryland, 15-4. Less than two weeks later, Dartmouth lost to the Princeton Tigers in overtime, 11-9.

But during a successful weekend in Pennsylvania, the Big Green crushed the University of Pennsylvania, 14-3, and defeated PennState for the first time in history, 9-6.

Last Tuesday, Dartmouth traveled o Cambridge to face Harvard in a match where both teams had the chance to claim a piece of the Ivy title with a win.

The Crimson led at the half, 11-4 , and the seven-goal margin was too much for the Big Green to overcome. Harvard won the game, 15-6, and shares the 1993 Ivy League title with Princeton.

The Big Green have the luxury of a second game and a second chance against Harvard to prove that Dartmouth is the better team. The time of the game will be determined later this week.