Giugliano's no-hitter highlights softball action

Dartmouth women's softball (9-16, 3-5 Ivy) traveled to Columbia and Cornell this weekend for two scheduled doubleheaders.

In game one against Columbia, Danica Giugliano '04 pitched her first career complete game no-hitter. She led Dartmouth to a 1-0 shutout victory over the Lions.

The game was a pitchers duel throughout. Dartmouth was only able to scatter five hits across all seven innings, and both teams were scoreless going into the seventh and final inning.

However, in the seventh, the Big Green was able to capitalize on a Columbia error. Jodee Thompson '05 lead off the inning with a walk. Lacey Neahr '06 was then brought in to pinch run. Neahr advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. A single by Ashley Thorfinnson '07 and an error by the Columbia first baseman brought her home to score.

Giugliano improved her record to 5-5 on the season. She had five strikeouts and had no walks in the game.

In the nightcap against Columbia, the score was reversed as Dartmouth lost to Columbia 1-0. In this game, the Lions scored their run early. In the first inning, they were able to score after a lead-of-hit and an error brought a runner home.

Throughout the game, Dartmouth was unable to score, though they threatened in both the third and seventh innings.

In the seventh, Alicia Petryk '06 singled and Neahr was again brought into the game to pinch run. She advanced to second on an error and to third on a single by Thompson. But the Big Green was unable to capitalize on the Columbia error, and with runners at the corners, Columbia won the game 1-0.

Brittany Copenhaver '04 pitched the complete game and received the loss. She only allowed three hits, and the only run scored was unearned.

After making the long trip from New York City to Ithaca, N.Y., Dartmouth was only able to play one of their two scheduled games Sunday due to inclement weather.

In the first game, Cornell jumped to an early lead, scoring runs in five out of their six half innings.

Though Dartmouth was shut-out, they still had four hits in the game. Adrienne Draper '04, Lauren Folger '07, Petryk and Thompson each had a hit.

Giugliano suffered the loss, bringing her record to 5-6. She pitched another complete game, giving up five earned runs on eight hits. She also had four strikeouts and gave up two walks. The second game was postponed with two outs in the bottom of the first inning and did not continue until Monday morning. That contest was another heartbreaking loss for the team, as Cornell barely defeated Dartmouth 2-1.

The Big Green scored first in the top of the fourth inning. Kerry Conway '05 bunted for a hit and reached first base. She was then advanced to second by a fielder's choice and an error on a single by Draper. Petryk was then hit by a pitch, and Thompson singled to bring Conway home. Unfortunately, the inning ended soon thereafter, stranding three Dartmouth runners on the bases.

Cornell would later tie, and score the game winning run on a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Copenhaver originally started the game for the Big Green before the rain delay. Giugliano came in on Monday and pitched the remained of the game. She gave up two runs on seven hits.

Despite going 1-4 over the weekend, the team remains confident.

"Our offense is there, we just need to put both sides of the game together," Thompson commented. "Once we do, we'll win more games."

Andrea Shute '05 echoed her teammate's remarks: "We will absolutely dominate teams once we tighten up our defense."

"We just need to work on errorless softball," Jess Reiten '05 said. "We're so close to winning most of the games. Other teams are often able to capitalize on those errors, and that's what results in a loss."

After returning from Cornell, Dartmouth will look to sweep Vermont in a doubleheader this Thursday.