Watching the Ivies

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 11/19/13 4:00am

BROWN: Brown University is currently implementing initiatives outlined in President Christina Paxson’s recently approved strategic plan, the Brown Daily Herald reported. A new sophomore seminar program focusing on “diversity and social justice” will be piloted in the spring. Other changes include a post-tenure sabbatical policy and the development of online education programs.

COLUMBIA: A new global fellowship program at Columbia University will fund the overseas experiences of 15 students the summer before sophomore year, the Columbia Spectator reported. The program will fund living expenses and airfare for students studying, working or conducting research near one of Columbia’s eight global centers. The program represents an initiative to increase the accessibility of Columbia’s global centers for undergraduate students.

CORNELL: Cornell University announced the dismissal of the men’s lacrosse team’s head coach Ben DeLuca, according to the Cornell Sun. The dismissal occurred two months after a hazing incident in which freshman team members were forced to chug beer, which resulted in the team’s suspension for the fall season. Team members expressed surprise and shock upon learning of DeLuca’s dismissal.

HARVARD: Harvard University announced plans to construct the Richard A. & Susan F. Smith Campus Center, to be located on the first three floors of the former Holyoke Center, The Crimson reported. The project is named after benefactors Richard A. Smith of the Class of 1946 and his wife Susan F. Smith. The new campus center is scheduled for completion in 2018 and will include food service, study areas and spaces for exhibitions and performances.

PRINCETON: Princeton University is experiencing a meningitis outbreak on campus, the Daily Princetonian reported. As of Nov. 10, seven cases of the disease have been associated with the University since March. Administrators urged students to exercise caution to prevent the disease’s spread at last weekend’s Orange and Black Ball and at the Homecoming football game against Yale.

UPENN: University of Pennsylvania reported a new high in the number of applicants to its Early Decision program this year, according to the Daily Pennsylvanian. The binding admissions program attracted 5,133 applicants to the class of 2018, a 6.6 percent increase from last year’s admissions cycle. This also marks a 41 percent increase from the 2008 cycle.

YALE: Yale University’s number of registered student groups fell by half after a Nov. 1 registration deadline, Yale Daily News reported. While over 600 organizations were registered with the Yale College Dean’s Office prior to the deadline, only 279 succeeded in completing all of the requirements for registration. Some students cited frustration with required leadership training sessions as their reasoning behind failing to re-register, while others expressed concern with glitches in the online system.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff