Watching the Ivies: 10/22

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 10/22/13 4:00am

BROWN: Brown University has introduced an initiative called “I’m With the Band” granting Brown students free admission to certain performing arts events in downtown Providence, according to the Brown Daily Herald. The initiative, which went into effect Oct. 1., has allowed students to attend film screenings, dance performances, and other local performing arts events free of charge. The program represents an effort by Brown to collaborate with and affirm its connection to the local art community.

COLUMBIA: Columbia’s College Student Council and Engineering Student Council passed a resolution requesting that undergraduates be permitted to enter the Business School’s Watson Library after 5 p.m. during midterms and finals, according to the Columbia Spectator. A new policy introduced last semester banned all undergraduates except economics majors from the library during midterms and finals. Columbia Senate committees will discuss the issue throughout the remainder of the month.

CORNELL: Cornell will partner with Chobani, Inc. to promote innovation in dairy and food science research, according to the Cornell Sun. The partnership, announced by Cornell last Friday, was enabled by a $1.5-million donation from Chobani to Cornell’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Chobani’s partnership with Cornell aims to generate knowledge and solutions that will “take dairy science to the next level,” according to Chobani’s communication manager Lindsay Kos. The specific research projects to be conducted have not yet been determined.

HARVARD: Former CIA director and four-star Army general David H. Petraeus will join Harvard Kennedy School as a non-resident senior fellow, according to the Crimson. Petraeus will head a project at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs called “The Coming North America Decades,” alongside Kennedy School Professor Graham T. Allison. The project will analyze the effects of scientific, economic, and technological factors on the competitiveness of North America.

PRINCETON: Princeton announced an 11.7 percent return on its endowment in fiscal year 2013, as the Daily Princetonian reported last Friday. The endowment grew in total value to $18.2 billion. The year’s return far exceeded the 3.1 percent gain in fiscal year 2012, reflecting patterns of increasingly bullish foreign and domestic market activity.

UPENN: UPenn will host a performance by Chance the Rapper on Nov. 1., as the Daily Pennsylvanian reported. The artist will headline the Social Planning & Events Committee to Represent Undergraduate Minorities’ (SPEC-TRUM) fall show. Chance the Rapper released the popular mixtape Acid Rap in April 2013.

YALE: Administrators at Yale have announced that the number of student athletes recruited to Yale will likely remain constant in the immediate future, although the cap could potentially increase later on, according to Yale Daily News. Some community members have voiced opinions that Yale should increase its in-house cap of 180 student athletes admitted to Yale annually, as the Ivy League enforces a quota of 230 per year. Yale’s former President Richard Levin downsized the number admitted to Yale to 180 eight years ago. Many students and alumni hope for an eventual change in this policy under Yale’s new University President Peter Salovey.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff