Spotlight On: Pine

By Lauren Harris | 4/17/13 3:00am

On Sunday, I scrounged up a few friends and a few more dollars in order to check out Pine, the Hanover Inn’s newly updated restaurant. Between the three of us, our dietary restrictions encompassed pescatarianism, gluten intolerance and a nut allergy, but we were ready to take our chances and make the best experience possible out of our restaurant adventure.

As we entered the Inn, we were greeted with a brand-new, spacious and well-lit eating space, with the aura of something between a glamorous yet cozy ski lodge and an upscale cocktail bar. We were seated in the center of the restaurant, which gave us a great vantage point from which to spy on (and covet) the other customers’ dinners. That evening, the restaurant hosted a family with several young children, a few elderly couples and some obvious prospies dining with their parents. Even at 5:30 p.m. on a Sunday, it was rather busy, and I was glad we had made a reservation.

When the menus arrived, we were pleased to note the variety of options. Pine aims to provide customers with gourmet meals that incorporate a myriad of fresh and local products. Offerings included everything from traditional pasta dishes and seafood to a signature “Hanover burger” with bacon and cheese.

We were thrilled with the food from the moment the warm bread was placed lovingly on our table, with softened butter on the side. Rebecca and I opted to start our meal with the “Dartmouth Greens” salad (nicely done, Pine) which comprised a variety of local greens, lemon vinaigrette and frico chips. It did not disappoint. Nick opted for a baby kale Caesar salad, which he noted had the perfect amount of dressing.

With hardly any delay, our entrees were served. Rebecca and I shared the salmon (which our friendly waitress very accommodatingly split between two plates), and Nick ordered fettuccine with duck confit. As a Jersey shore native, I like to think that I have high standards for seafood, and this salmon managed to exceed my expectations. It was served on a bed of leeks and beluga lentils, which were subtly flavored with lime juice and thyme. The combination of textures and flavors gave the dish an exciting flair, and the salmon was cooked to perfection. (Though my pescatarian self was unable to try the fettuccine, Nick gladly cleared his plate and gave it very solid reviews).

As our stomachs were miraculously still open for business, we decided to order dessert. Immediately, I knew I had to choose the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bomb (with honey-peanut brittle and chocolate-covered pretzels. Oh yes). It was everything I dreamed it would be: a smooth coating of chocolate ganache surrounding a cloud-like chocolate mousse, with a golden heart of peanut butter at its center. I only shared it with Rebecca because it seemed like the right thing to do, and also she was helping me pay. Nick ordered the creme brûlée, which was obviously prepared with expertise; its caramelized top cracked satisfyingly to reveal the creamy, custardy dream within.

Although Pine isn’t the type of place that I can afford to go to every weekend (or ever again until I get a job... you may want to ask your parents to treat you sometime), it was definitely worth the excursion and the slight dent it made in my wallet. Our dining experience was relaxing and comfortable, the staff was extremely accommodating and the food was truly something special. I hope you’ll try it for yourself sometime soon. And don’t forget to bring me back some dessert to thank me for the recommendation — you’re welcome.

Lauren Harris