Watching the Ivies: 3/25

By Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff | 3/25/13 10:30am

BROWN: A campus-wide stomach virus at Brown University was determined by the Rhode Island Department of Health to be a norovirus, according to the Brown Daily Herald. Brown’s Health Services office contacted the Department of Health last week after observing a sharp increase in the number of students with gastrointestinal symptoms. State laboratory tests confirmed two cases as testing positive for norovirus, which was sufficient to classify the circumstance as a norovirus outbreak. Noroviruses cause the majority of nonbacterial gastroenteritis worldwide.

COLUMBIA: Columbia University has granted Zeta Beta Tau fraternity a reprieve from the formerly recommended loss of its charter, provided that it adhere to an action plan including a membership review and suspension of social activities, according to the Columbia Daily Spectator. The Inter-Greek Council Judicial Board had originally recommended revoking the fraternity’s charter after a hazing violation in January. ZBT must comply with its outlined action plan and meet standards for “philanthropy, academics and leadership development” in order to maintain its charter.

CORNELL: Cornell University will introduce a new major in environmental science and sustainability through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences this May, according to the Cornell Daily Sun. Thirty-five professors from over 15 departments will instruct students in the new major. The curriculum will address environmental economics and the use of policy to solve environmental problems in a sustainable manner.

HARVARD: The Harvard University men’s basketball team suffered a 74-51 loss to the University of Arizona Wildcats on Saturday in the third round of the NCAA tournament. Harvard trailed to Arizona throughout the entirety of the game, according to The Crimson. The defeat followed Harvard’s historic upset victory over New Mexico last Thursday, the team’s first-ever win in the NCAA tournament.

PRINCETON: Students at Princeton University are petitioning for the installation of security cameras in campus laundry rooms after a series of recent clothing thefts, according to The Daily Princetonian. Nine students in Wilson residential college have reported missing laundry via mass email since the beginning of the spring semester, although only one theft has been reported to the Department of Public Safety. Public Safety will conduct discussions and evaluations in order to determine whether security cameras are necessary.

UPENN: The University of Pennsylvania’s Social Planning and Events Committee announced rapper Tyga as the first opening artist of the Spring Fling concert in April, according to The Daily Pennsylvanian. Tyga, born Michael Ray Nguyen-Stevenson, is mainly known for his megahit “Rack City.” SPEC had previously announced Janelle Monae as the second opening artist at the concert.

YALE: Yale University announced last week a four percent increase in tuition for the 2013-14 academic year, the Yale Daily News reported. While the college’s undergraduate term bill will rise to $57,500 next year, its financial aid budget will drop slightly to $119 million. Yale’s financial aid office found that this year’s $120 million budget exceeded students’ demonstrated need. The federal budget sequester was not a factor in the office’s financial aid projections.

Marie Plecha, The Dartmouth Staff