Main Street sees new businesses

By Alexandra Johnson | 10/11/12 6:00am

Game Set Mat: Susan Valence of Lyme, N.H. recently opened a tennis and yoga boutique she cleverly deemed “Game Set Mat.” The store caters to women and girls, and sells yoga and tennis clothing, equipment and accessories. Valence said her business is unique and that merchandise at Game Set Mat is “more stylish than you can get at the local sporting goods stores in town.” Though the store opened only three weeks ago, Valence has seen Dartmouth customers tend to gravitate toward yoga leggings and athletic headbands. Valence also said that many students who attend Dartmouth Yoga Club’s weekly hour-long practices find they would rather purchase their own mat than use the school’s. In the new year, Valence hopes to partner with Dartmouth sororities to host events like fashion shows and yoga demonstrations. Game Set Mat will hold a grand opening on October 19, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony followed by an open house. The boutique is located at 15 South Main Street. Hours can be found here.

Clinique: This month, the Dartmouth Bookstore saw the installation of a Clinique skin care and makeup counter in their Main Street building. The counter is fully stocked with Clinique products, and Clinique employees provide skin care advice and makeup instruction to customers. Especially popular amongst Dartmouth females is Clinique’s individually-customized “3-Step” skincare regime consisting of a cleanser, exfoliating lotion, and moisturizer. According to employees, the 3-Step system is a hit with college students, some of whom find they need new types of products upon moving to Hanover and adjusting to different climate conditions. Hours can be found here.

And look out for The Lemon Tree Hanover, a soon-to-be-opened local boutique that will sell gifts, home décor, and jewelry. The Lemon Tree will fill the space that used to be home to JuliAna clothing boutique on Lebanon Street.

Alexandra Johnson