Student environmentalists capitalized on debate media at Climate Rally

By Sarah Scully | 10/12/11 3:23pm

As peo­ple flocked to Dart­mouth yes­ter­day to wit­ness the Re­pub­li­can Pres­i­den­tial De­bate and catch a glimpse of the can­di­dates, many stu­dents hoped to use the media to spread their mes­sage to a broader au­di­ence.

Stu­dent en­vi­ron­men­tal­ists gath­ered on the Green in an at­tempt to gar­ner media at­ten­tion for cli­mate change aware­ness through a cli­mate rally. Or­ga­niz­ers Michael Berger ’14 and Jil­lian Mayer ’14 be­lieve they can have a greater im­pact by cap­i­tal­iz­ing on the media pres­ence for the de­bate than they would by tar­get­ing Re­pub­li­can can­di­dates, they said.

“Hav­ing this kind of ac­cess to the media is re­ally an in­cred­i­ble op­por­tu­nity,” Annie Lau­rie Mauhs-Pugh ’14, a mem­ber of the Cli­mate Rally di­rec­torate, said.

In co­or­di­nat­ing the rally, Berger and Mayer reached out to stu­dents, par­tic­u­larly those in­volved in cam­pus en­vi­ron­men­tal groups. How­ever, the event was not spon­sored by a par­tic­u­lar group, and was or­ga­nized in­de­pen­dently.

While the stu­dents did not aim to nec­es­sar­ily per­suade the can­di­dates at this event, they rec­og­nized po­lit­i­cal ac­tion on cli­mate change as an end goal and hope to draw the at­ten­tion of other politi­cians and the pub­lic, rally mem­bers said.

“Cli­mate change is one of, if not the largest en­vi­ron­men­tal issue of our time and it seems to have fallen off the na­tional pol­icy agenda. We wanted to re­mind our pol­i­cy­mak­ers that it’s still a huge issue to us,” Berger said.

Berger es­ti­mated that 40-50 stu­dents joined the rally on the Green over the course of three hours, wav­ing signs and hand­ing out media fly­ers with this state­ment:

“This is a cru­cial time for our coun­try to act on be­half of our planet, our econ­omy, and our health. All of the Re­pub­li­can Pres­i­den­tial can­di­dates pro­pose in­creas­ing car­bon emis­sions. This isn’t a Re­pub­li­can or De­mo­c­rat issue, it’s a human issue.”

To get the mes­sage across that cli­mate change af­fects every­one, sev­eral of their signs read, “Cli­mate Change, It’s Per­sonal.”

Sarah Scully