Szung Szongs: The Beastie Boys are back

By By Rob Szypko, The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 4/24/11 8:37pm

Szung Szongs: The Beastie Boys are back

<="" img="">

Cour­tesy Of Gor­don And The Whale

The Knicks are get­ting crushed by the Celtics in the play­offs, but New York City can take so­lace in the fact that the Brook­lyn-bred Beastie Boys are back in full force. The group will re­lease its new album “Hot Sauce Com­mit­tee Part Two” on May 3, and it streamed a live video of the album being played from speak­ers at the cen­ter court of the Madi­son Square Gar­den this week­end. The Beastie Boys also just re­leased a bonkers celebrity-laden half-hour video called “Fight For Your Right (Re­vis­ited),” a pe­riod piece of sorts that fol­lows the Beastie Boys after their sem­i­nal “Fight For Your Right” music video of may­hem.

In a bizarre se­quence of events, Eli­jah Wood, Danny McBride and Seth Rogen strut around as Ad-Rock, MCA and Mike D, bump­ing into a dizzy­ing list of celebs that in­cludes Jason Schwartz­man, Steve Buscemi, Susan Saran­don, Ted Dan­son, Amy Poehler, Or­lando Bloom, Stan­ley Tucci, Will Ar­nett (who de­li­ciously chan­nels GOB in his brief ap­pear­ance) and Rainn Wil­son. The vast ma­jor­ity of these ap­pear­ances are hi­lar­i­ous throw­away shots that last for mere sec­onds. The video then ends in a dance off be­tween the Beastie Boys of 1986 and the Beastie Boys of the fu­ture (or pre­sent, de­pend­ing on how you look at it), played by Will Fer­rell, Jack Black and John C. Reilly.

The face­off ends in a piss­ing match. I can’t make this up — every­one just starts piss­ing on each other. The video sags, but if you watch noth­ing else, fast for­ward to about 22 min­utes in to see this urine duel, which is bro­ken up by three cops played by the ac­tual B-Boys. Fer­rell in par­tic­u­lar shines in the video as he tries to untie a dance mat, be­com­ing hi­lar­i­ously frus­trated at whomever tied those damn knots. He also does dou­ble duty as a limo dri­ver play­ing cow­bell à la “Don’t Fear the Reaper.”

The video fea­tures “Make Some Noise,” (avail­able over at Et Musique Pour Tous) the first sin­gle re­leased by the Boys in the lead-up to the album re­lease. The song has a real funky beat and some pretty great lyrics like “I burn the com­pe­ti­tion like a flamethrower/ My rhymes age like wine as I get older.” Maybe that’s a lit­tle too real, MCA. “Make Some Noise” is an­other re­bel­lious party an­them that I won’t hes­i­tate to get be­hind. But these guys are around 45 years old now, and sadly, it looks like the party could be draw­ing to a close — MCA had a bout with can­cer last year, and spec­u­la­tion has posed ques­tions about whether “Hot Sauce Com­mit­tee” will be his last pub­lic work.

Nonethe­less, I’m cease­lessly amazed that these guys can stay so damn badass even into their for­ties. They’ve con­tin­ued to adapt cool, ma­tur­ing when they need to and get­ting in your face with their ir­rev­er­ent at­ti­tude any­where else. They aren’t the only aging mu­si­cians out there, but it’s one thing to bring “Bloody Sun­day” into your older years, and a to­tally dif­fer­ent thing to take “No Sleep Til Brook­lyn,” “Fight For Your Right,” and “Sab­o­tage” into mid­dle age.

By Rob Szypko, The Dartmouth Senior Staff