Big Green Artifacts: Symbols of athletic history at the College

Pewter Bowl for Berry Sports Center (1987)

This pewter bowl commemorates the dedication of the John W. Berry Sports Center on May 22, 1987. Berry ’44’s gift of $5 million dollars, the largest the athletic department had ever received at the time, gave him naming rights to the 88,400 square foot building built in 1986. The Berry Center houses 10 international squash courts, two North American squash courts, three racquetball courts, three regulation basketball courts, four varsity locker rooms, an athletic ticket office and the Big Green basketball suites. These facilities include Herrick Court, which is one of only three squash exhibition courts in North America with three glass walls, as well as Leede Arena, where the varsity basketball and volleyball teams play.

No. 42 Jersey from 1970 football season (1970)

A memento of the Big Green’s 1970 championship season, the jersey was worn by Thomas O’Neill ’73, a sophomore linebacker at the time. O’Neill is from Finleyville, Pennsylvania, and went to Monongahela High School. He graduated from the College in 1973 and received his degree from the Thayer School of Engineering in 1974. O’Neill went on to become the president and CEO of the engineering firm Parsons Brinckerhoff. In 2005, he delivered the speech at Thayer’s Investiture ceremony and earned the Robert Fletcher Award for distinguished achievement and service. His jersey bears the Dartmouth Indian logo, which has not been used since 1974 because of its racial insensitivity.

Stein of the New Gym (circa 1910s)

This stein, made from porcelain and pewter, features an image of “the new gymnasium.” It was made sometime between 1910 and 1919 to commemorate the completion of what is now known as the Alumni Gymnasium. Built in 1910, the gym originally had two swimming pools, intramural basketball courts, championship basketball courts, two weight rooms, squash courts, 1/13 of a mile jogging track, two saunas, fencing lanes and a rowing tank. In 2006, a $12 million renovation added a 14,000-square-foot fitness center and eight new multi-purpose fitness rooms, along with other enhancements to the original structure.

Program for a Banquet in honor of Dartmouth’s Undefeated 1970 Season (1971)

On January 22, 1971, the Championship Football Banquet was held in Alumni Hall in the Hopkins Center. This evening was held in honor of the team’s undefeated, 9-0 1970 season. The evening included a full program of speeches made by several notable figures, including Dr. John G. Kemeny, the president of the College at the time, and Ned Martin, a sportscaster for the Boston Red Sox from 1961 to 1992. The front of the program displays the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy and the Ivy League Trophy, both of which were won by the team that year. This piece of sports memorabilia also includes a collage of highlights from the season, including “Dartmouth Overwhelms Columbia 55-0” and “Dartmouth Throttles Yales 10-0 for Sixth Victory: Indians Unanimous Pick In Lambert Trophy Voting.” On the “Standout Performers” page, it is noted that 22 players had “gained recognition in the selection of All-America, All-East, All-Ivy and All-New England teams.” Information was also included about the team’s playing record, roster, awards, an “Ivy League Statistical Review” and a piece titled “Eight New England Teams Unbeaten in Past 50 Years … Four Wear Dartmouth Green.” Finally, caricatures of the “Undefeated Seniors” were included with each person being identified by their name and number.

Splinter of wood from goal post of field where Dartmouth captured first ever win over Yale University in 1935

Back in October 1884, Dartmouth played its first game of football against Yale University and suffered a crushing 113-0 loss to a Bulldogs team on a 36-game winning streak. Fast forward 51 years, and on Nov. 2, 1935, the Big Green was able to win its first game against the opponents from New Haven, Connecticut 14-6. Displayed here is a splinter of wood from the goal post that towered over the field in that historic game. This splinter was a gift to the College from P. B. Tucker ’36, and included an entry from the December 1935 alumni magazine. This piece is a collage of headlines from the days following the team’s victory, including “Yale Jinx Loses 51-Year Battle With Big Green” and “Dartmouth Downs Yale for First Time in History.” This season, Dartmouth football defeated Yale 41-18, showing how far they’ve come since the two teams started playing each other.