The Weekday Roundup: Week 2

Dartmouth baseball won its first game following a four-game skid by beating the College of the Holy Cross 2-1.

Men’s Baseball

The Dartmouth men’s baseball team snapped a four-game losing streak Wednesday by winning 2-1 versus College of the Holy Cross in a tight pitching duel at Red Rolfe Field at Biondi Park. The Big Green improve to 6-16 while Holy Cross falls to 11-19.

Tight pitching by both the Big Green and Holy Cross led to a low-scoring game. The game was scoreless through four innings with Holy Cross tagging in on a triple from Thomas Russo to score the first run in the fifth. In the bottom of the sixth, Thomas Roulis ’15 hit a liner to left field to bring in Mike Brown ’19, who had stolen third earlier, to tie the game at 1-1.

Nick Ruppert ’16 and Adam Gauthier ’16 hit singles in the seventh to reach base and subsequently did a double steal. The Crusader catcher misthrew the ball to third and Ruppert scored the game winner to win 2-1.

Dartmouth had seven hits compared to the Crusaders four. Clay Chatham ’18, Sam Fichthorn ’18, Chris Burkholder ’17 and Patrick Peterson ’18 allowed one run and four hits to give the Big Green a close victory.

Dartmouth plays the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University this weekend at Red Rolfe Field.

Men’s/Women’s Sailing

The Big Green men’s sailing team participated in the 35th Lynne Marchiando Trophy, while the women’s sailing team competed at the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy, placing sixth in both events last weekend.

At the Lynne Marchiando Trophy in Boston, the conditions were especially wet and windy, but the Big Green men’s sailing placed six out of 14 fleets with Yale University taking home the trophy. Overall, Dartmouth competed well at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology hosted event with a 8-5 record, while Yale finished with a perfect 13-0.

At the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy, the women’s sailing team placed sixth with 74 points with University of Rhode Island winning overall.

Men’s Golf

At last weekend’s Cornell Spring Opener in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, the men’s golf team finished last in a field of three. The Big Green’s two-day score of 598 (+22) put it four shots behind Temple University and 29 shots behind big winner Cornell University.

Charles Cai ’16 and Scott Jaster ’17 led Dartmouth out of the gate, as each shot an even par (72) opening round to tie for fifth on the leaderboard. Ian Kelsey ’18 was in 10th with a 74 (+2), and two shots behind, in 12th place, sat Sean Fahey ’17 and Jeff Lang ’17. After Saturday’s 18 holes, Dartmouth and Temple were knotted up at 298 apiece, trailing Cornell by 11.

Sunday saw Cai shoot a 69 (-3), finishing in third place among 22 golfers. Fahey’s 71 (-1) was the only other Big Green score below par on the second and final day. The men slipped two shots to shoot a 300 (+12) on Sunday, falling behind Temple to close out the tournament. Fahey and Jaster finished in ninth and 10th in the field of 22, while Lang and Kelsey took 12th and 13th.

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team won the eight-team Seahawk Invitational with a combined two-day score of 637 (+61) at Littlestown, Pennsylvania’s Quail Valley Golf Course. The win was the first for the team this spring, and the first since topping the field in the Sept. 27 Dartmouth Invitational. With consistent overall scores on Sunday and Monday, Dartmouth edged the host school, Wagner College, by one shot. Radi Sauro ’18 was the top golfer for the Big Green after she shot an 82 in the first round and a 77 on Monday to finish 15 over par. Tara Simmons ’17’s opening-round 76 (+4) put her in first place to begin the tournament. However, Simmons’ score dipped on the second day, and she finished in 16th with a 164 (+20).

Dartmouth was in first place after shooting 319 (+31) on Sunday, four shots better than Central Connecticut State University. Wagner surged to second place on Monday with a 309 (+21) — the best round of the tournament — but it could not surpass the Big Green’s even play.

Jessica Kittelberger ’18 finished tied for ninth behind Sauro as she shot a 160 (+16) through two rounds. Julia Calbi ’19 and Isabelle Kane ’18 each shot 162 (+18), tying for 12th overall.