Brooks: In Your Hands

Ah, it's Friday of Homecoming weekend a day that is mostly centered on all you freshmen out there. As you march up Main Street, many of us from '15s to '13s to alumni will be there to affectionately welcome you to Dartmouth as the "worst class ever." Though I'm sure there will be some out there who think you're not that bad. I don't want to take away the intrigue that surrounds the bonfire, but you'll see a wide gamut of reactions from cheering to jeering. Personally, I'll probably be informing all of you who are running the wrong way to turn around. There are always a few of you.

However, as you pass around the bonfire, and even as a few of you don't (that's OK), I hope you begin to fully feel like a part of the Dartmouth community. The bonfire is the first big tradition for matriculated students unless you've already completed the Ledyard Challenge, in which case, props. All of us watching you run around the bonfire have ourselves run around the bonfire and can recall when it was we who were sprinting laps.

As I came up Main Street and saw the crowds of people cheering us into the area around the bonfire, I was weirdly reminded of my first experience in boot camp. As the bus I was riding pulled up to Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, we were all instructed to line up on yellow footprints that had been painted at the position of attention. At the drill instructor's command we ran in through a set of doors to begin our boot camp experience. Displayed over the doors were the following words: "Through these portals pass prospects for America's finest fighting force United States Marines."

I only passed through those doors once, and afterward I was never the same. Other than a few randos, you too will only run once around the bonfire, and you will change a lot over these next four or so years. Anyone who has been here any length of time can tell you that it goes by quickly. Make the most of it.

It's hard for me not to compare my Dartmouth experience to the Marines. And while there is a huge difference between a place that trains war-fighters and a liberal arts college, there are many similarities. Dartmouth is small, tight-knit community that's forced to be around each other constantly, we have a work hard, party hard mentality, the majority of the people around here are between the ages of 18 to 22 (I try to blend in), we strive constantly to excel, we have a penchant for hazing (jokes!) and, trust me, the list goes on. So please indulge me as I continue.

While leading a DOC trip this summer, my trippees and I piled into Moosilauke Ravine Lodge to hear the guest speaker. I don't remember his name, but I do remember that he was not only a professor but also an alumnus. He told the trippees that Dartmouth was now theirs. If Dartmouth was to change for the better, it was up to them to bring about that change. As an alumnus, he stressed that students hold the power to bring about positive change on campus.

I remember that as my freshman year progressed, some of my friends became disenchanted with aspects of Dartmouth and Dartmouth's culture that they didn't like. However, beyond pointing out Dartmouth's flaws, I can't say they did anything to change them. Unfortunately, one friend even left. Dartmouth is the fourth college I have attended, so I am here to say that problems at Dartmouth aren't endemic.

As I sat in a circle the next day on the Leach Field, I told the trippees that Dartmouth isn't a perfect place, but it is a great place. The community here is incredibly close. While on winter break, I wore a Dartmouth shirt to a store. A kind elderly lady walked next to me and told me I needed to meet her husband. He was a Dartmouth '52 and a Korean War veteran. Dartmouth is the only community outside the Marine Corps where I have had friends, family members and alumni (veterans) introduce themselves to me.

But like I said, Dartmouth isn't perfect. However, now it's on all of you to help us effect change. My senior drill instructor used to tell us that we were the future of the Marine Corps. He would retire soon, and the Marines would be in our hands. Freshmen, you are the future of Dartmouth College. This is your school. It is now in your hands. And whether you have three terms or 12 terms, let's make them great. Happy Homecoming!